Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Mirror glass separated from backing plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007 | 11:08 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Default Aero Mirror glass separated from backing plate

The mirror was loose and I caught it before it fell off and broke. I now have the glass portion in my hand and the backing plate is still attached to the aero housing on the car. I searched the forum and found a mention of using a silicon glue to reattach the mirror but no brand or name was provided. I have used Automotive Goop, yes that is the real name, no affiliation, to fix a lot of things but I do not think it will work on smooth glass. Any ideas as to a good product to use to reattach the mirror? I am thinking of trying a double sided tape that is used for attaching body molding.

This is my first 964, a 1992 C2, Guards Red, 119,000 miles, purchased 2 weeks ago. Just finished replacing rear Boge shocks with Bilstien HDs, will mount the fronts next weekend, car had Eibach springs when I purchased it. Also did a major tune up, valve adjustment, and distributor belt. A few more minor fixes and it will be ready to enjoy. This forum is a wealth of information!
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:27 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

You might try the glue used to attach the rear view mirror to the windshield. I expect you could get some at an auto parts store.
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:31 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I do not think it it will work. The rear view mirror adhesive is for metal to glass, this is glass to a plastic layer that is not smooth.
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:35 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome!

You could try Automotive Goop - I used it to repair the clips holding the rocker panels on a few years ago and it is holding strong.

Marc
p.s. Pictures of your car are always welcomed!
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:36 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Have you tried MasterBond or 3M?
Old 07-16-2007 | 07:54 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Ended up using 3M double sided tape, covered the entire back of the glass with the tape and then attached to the plastic backing plate. Working for over a week at this point.

Quick Reply: Aero Mirror glass separated from backing plate