Sponsored by:

Strange 964 Issue - Please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Strange 964 Issue - Please chime in

I have a 1990 C2. If I engage the alarm by locking the doors when I exit the car when I unlock the car (nothing happens) and attempt to start the car, the alarm sounds. I then have to remove the positive battery cable for about 10 seconds, reconnect it, and then the car will start. The alarm does not sound again until I lock the car.

Since I have no radio or other valuables and live in a reasonably safe area, I've been getting by on not locking the car. Obviously, this is not something that I can live with on a perm basis.

I've done a number of searches and what I am reading is that alarm conditions normally are different than this one and involve the alarm sounding at seemingly random times. Therefore I'd really appreciate and specific advice any of you have on this.

Thanks,

James
Old 06-17-2007, 07:14 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Perhaps the door lock limit switch has become mis-adjusted. It seems to recognize the lock position, but not the unlock position.

Have you tried locking/unlocking the car from the passenger side? That would be a good test to indicate the door lock limit switch on the one side.

How about leaving the windows open and trying the console lock? Not sure if that should work, or not.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on the alarm problems - but it's generally a good idea to remove the negative battery cable, not the positive one.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

I've tried it from both sides.

The alarm ONLY sounds when I attempt to start the car, I can open the doors in any fashion without issue. Its when I attempt to start the car that it does this...
Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Where are you?

Do you have access to a Hammer (Bosch Diagnostic tool)?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

I don't have a bosch tool and neither the dealer or the lone other tech are well respected (southern Indiana). The issue started after the car had sat for about 2 months.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As a note, I dont believe the 1990 had the alarm system that the Hammer could look at. (My 89 doesnt) Didnt they start that in 91?

Kirk
Old 06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I was thinking more of looking at the door lock actuators and positions. When my alarm was giving me fits the Hammer indicated that the limit switch on one side was getting tripped. This left the alarm thinking that someone had tried to open the door and the alarm would go off. It was actually quite close as the switch would flip some time after I had locked the car and walked away. Mostly in the middle of the night!

I was thinking in mjshira's case that perhaps one of the limit swtiches was no "seeing" that the door had been legitimately unlocked and was holding the alarm armed. Then upon when attempting a start the alarm would go off. A bit of a stretch, perhaps.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On my car all of that info is not available on the hammer because its the older alarm system.

Kirk
Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

yeah, its a 1990.

the question is (and thanks fellas for the help) can I just remove the whole damn system?

Quick Reply: Strange 964 Issue - Please chime in