Sponsored by:

Dassport rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:10 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dassport rollbar

Having looked at all my options for a roll bar, i think iam goin to get one from Dassport. All the rollbars that i can get in the UK require weld, and i dont want to do that. Anyway before i go ahead and order one, has any one got in there car? How well does it fit, does the seat still move around fully, did you have any problems fitting it???
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

any 1 got 1???
Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had one backordered for the last 8 weeks - does that count?

Marc
p.s. from what I have heard they are great - 5 hours to figure out how to mount the first time then 15 minutes each time after that.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have one. Ordered it from www.cdoc.com. The DASsport bar is fantasitic. It comes unpainted in raw metal. I just Kryloned mine in flat black. The install is painless. A trick is to get the rear bolts *both* started just a few threads, and then alternate torqueing them down. I recommed this bar, it's great. You might want to check with the organization your racing with (if you're racing) to make sure it's approved. I believe it's PCA approved for club racing (someone correct me if I am wrong).

The downside, as Marc points out, they take a while to arrive once ordered.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is mine.

It took me about 2-3 hours to install it, but I was being very careful. You should remove a seat (I did the driver's seat) and you have to remove the side panels in back, not to mention permanent removal of the rear seat backs. The bottom cross bar was a little tricky to install at first because under the carpet the wire bundles that run along the body interior where the DAS bar attaches were in the way. They are aggressively glued down and I had to shift them aside so the holes of the bar would line up. Once that was done, it was pretty simple. The hardest part was refitting the side panels, which you just need to be careful so as not to scrape or damage them. The 2nd hardest part was finding a screw driver big enough to remove the giant screws that hold in the seat backs. Make sure the screw driver is not at all worn or you will strip the screwhead.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kgorman
I have one. Ordered it from www.cdoc.com....
DAS are made by CDOC so there is no point phoning around to try to find one or get a better price.

Marc
Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

"hildy 911" have you got any other pics and do the seats still move around fully? thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

964Russ, I have race seats, but I can tell you there is quite a bit of clearence between the seat backs and the rollbar. I am 6'2" and have my seats back fairly far, albiet fixed mounted with fixed backs. I would estimate a regular seat would have plenty of room. That said, I would suggest proper race seats with a rollbar like this. ;-).
Old 06-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964russ
"hildy 911" have you got any other pics and do the seats still move around fully? thanks.
What the Hondas and Mustangs see. Be forewarned-it makes them crazy and they taunt you at stoplights. As you can see, in my case, the harness loops are useless. I would not order them again.

Very tight for me-I'm 6'-5"/200 lbs. The seat moves all the way back on the sliders, but the tilt is impared to the extent that I will not fit with a helmet on. I'm installing a fixed Pole position seat which will give me plenty of room.

I placed a piece of nylon between the bolt end and the side trim.

I used a bushing to space out the difference. Either my car or the rollbar is off center by "1/4". The Das bar is rigid to the extent that I think it's a bad idea to try and force the issue and perhaps damage/stress the hardware or worse, the threaded bosses on the car.

no bushing on this side.

not a lot of room once installed.

I find the rear visibility to be good-much better than the autopower rollbar I had in my 72.

Overall I think it's a very good product. Hopefully I never need to put it to the test.

If you need specific pics-let me know.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The DAS roll bar is a quality product. I've had two of them in the past. This may not be particularly helpful, but over here in the states it is fairly easy to find one second-hand. They sell used in the $500 -700 area.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by dave morris
The DAS roll bar is a quality product. I've had two of them in the past. This may not be particularly helpful, but over here in the states it is fairly easy to find one second-hand. They sell used in the $500 -700 area.
I bought mine used for $650. It took me 6 months of searching to find it. A lot of them were available for $850+, but I felt that was too much $$ for a $1000 retail part.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:48 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

nice pics, thanks. in the UK u cant get this sort ov product, the only thing like is a weld in type and i dont want that. there goin to sell the rollbar for $900 and its $495 to ship it to me! thats a lot ov money! but it looks mint and seems to fit perfectly. cant wait...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

It's fairly weighty, but at least you have a favorable exchange rate.

I'm surprised some enterprising individual hasn't done a knock off of the DAS bar there and elsewhere. I know a guy who does custom rollbars and I'm considering having him fab up a chrome-moly DAS clone for me. Actually, I would change a number of things so not exactly a clone, but a true bolt-in like the DAS.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
it is fairly easy to find one second-hand. They sell used in the $500 -700 area.
Really? I rarely if ever see them used for sale. If you find one let me know.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I have seen 2 for sale here on Rennlist in the past 6 months but fo rsome reason people don't want to ship to Canada - geez, it is not that hard to fill out a tiny form saying what is in the box!

Marc

Quick Reply: Dassport rollbar