Sponsored by:

Dassport rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

964russ

Try Autofarm in Bicester, they fitted a Heigo cage to OllieW's RS. The price may not be too far away from the Dassport one once you pay for shipping and poss. get stung for duty!
Can't recall what it cost tho' and I may be well off the mark!!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive checked with Heigo in germany, they probably do the best monkey cages out of everyone but you have to modify the car, either with welding mounting points and or drillin big holes. I even contacted a couple of rollcage producers overhere and they reckon that you have to do sum weld to fit any cage/roll bar, and they arent willing to try to copy the Dassport one. I counld copy one if i had one to copy, but i cant find one in the UK.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964russ
I even contacted a couple of rollcage producers overhere and they reckon that you have to do sum weld to fit any cage/roll bar, and they arent willing to try to copy the Dassport one.
I've heard from a number of rollbar makers on this topic. Most feel the same way as the people you talked to. One guy that is pretty well known in California makes copies of the older RS hoops. He maintains that welding is the only way to go and he won't do it any other way.

It's somewhat of a debate-Are Das rollbars safe? Lots of threads on this, but I haven't heard of one das failure, so I feel comfortable with mine. Is it as good as a weld in? Doubt it, but a weld in hoop isn't as good as a bolt in cage, which isn't as good as a weld in cage, and so on. If we went with "what's best" we would all be in Nascar style tube frame cage/chassis. But for people like me, who spend 99% of our time on the street, imo, the DAS is fine. Heck-some feel your way better off without a rollbar than with one if it's a street/track car! Yet another debate.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

IMPORT TAX!!! Customs want £300 to clear this rollbar into the UK. To much money. Ends up being just over £1000! So importin from the US isnt an option. Ive contacted Heigo in germany again, no import tax in the EU..
Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hildy911
I've heard from a number of rollbar makers on this topic. Most feel the same way as the people you talked to. One guy that is pretty well known in California makes copies of the older RS hoops. He maintains that welding is the only way to go and he won't do it any other way.

It's somewhat of a debate-Are Das rollbars safe? Lots of threads on this, but I haven't heard of one das failure, so I feel comfortable with mine. Is it as good as a weld in? Doubt it, but a weld in hoop isn't as good as a bolt in cage, which isn't as good as a weld in cage, and so on. If we went with "what's best" we would all be in Nascar style tube frame cage/chassis. But for people like me, who spend 99% of our time on the street, imo, the DAS is fine. Heck-some feel your way better off without a rollbar than with one if it's a street/track car! Yet another debate.

Hi Hildy,
I agree with you completely on this. This is a template that I have made for my car (76). Boy, did I open a can of worms when I originally posted this on the 911 forum! I just believe that any reasonably constructed roll bar is better than no roll bar at all.

Anyway, I stress again that this is just a template so that I could get all the angles and fit “right” before I give it to the people who are going to bend up the real one.

This ‘template’ does not have any of the rear bracing fitted as they are all straight pieces that I will TIG weld onto the “real” bar when I have it bent up.

964russ,
I feel your pain. You either have to find someone competent to make you one or you have to ‘bite the bullet’ and fork out the cash.

Last edited by psychoideas; 08-27-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

There is no denying that a welded in roll bar or cage is the safest approach. Yet take these 2 points into consideration. The Das sport bar is sanctioned by PCA and at the same time the bars sold in the US by Porsche motorsport for the turbos, GT2's and GT3's use the same method to bolt up to the rear seat points as does the Das sport. I am inclined to think it is not unsafe but not as safe as a properly welded and fitted cage or bar. Again this all depends on what happens at what speed and what kind of impact. I also purchased grade 8 bolts to replace the grade 5 they supply with the bar.

BTW as Marc said there have been several up for sale here on rennlist over the past few months for as little as $500.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is the RSA model need to be welded?
Is it not a bolt-in like the rest?
Always wondered what the deal was.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

ordered this cage. it allso bolts to the seat belt mounts.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

P.I. in Australia, nice work creating your own. To me, that is the essence of motorsports. Kudos! I can imagine the flack you received and the wordplay on your handle. Sometimes one can post on the most inert topic and get flamed. Build your own safety equipment and you walk into the lions den!

Cobalt- I was wondering about the Porsche GTs. I wasn't sure if those were bolted in using the seat bosses or not. I'll use the words of people who said the Das bars were shyte - "Porsche did it that way for a reason." (when refering to the welded in RS bars). Now I can say that about my Das bar-Thanks! I may follow your lead on the grade 8 bolts, but I'm guessing it's the bar resting on body curvature that supports the cage in a roll with the bolts just holding it in place. Btw-love your cars!

Slant- I believe no rear seat bosses make the RSA different. No?

Russ- Those kind of tariffs have angered Americans for a long time. It's hard to thrive in a world economy with that kind of imbalance. Boo-hoo, I know. That said, looks like a nice bar. How does the front mount? Looks like it bolts to the side of the inner rocker. Is that extra bracing to the center seat mount? I'de like to see more if you have the info.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Superunknown
Racer

964russ,

How much did it cost altogether? I looked at the site but it is all in german!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

the front mounts ontop of the sill next to the seat, and bolts threw the exsting seat belt rail thingy, the long bars bolt onto the bottom rear seat belts, and the other arms mount onto the other rear belt mounts
Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

yeah its all in german, but i sent them a mail and they reply in english, no probs. for the clubsport in steel that ive ordered inc shipping just under £500. they do it in alloy as well double the cost, and they do th RS cage which has a cross in the centre. this pic is an alloy RS rollbar not cheap.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Nice looking Bar!!!
No wonder it cost that much, all those machined ends.
Are they threaded for easy adjustment??
Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
tat
Advanced

I've got a Heigo half cage. It was the only bolt-in cage I could find which was FIA certified. I'd suggest getting it installed professionally; you may need to weld in reinforcing plates at the mounting points.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I believe it's PCA approved for club racing (someone correct me if I am wrong).
It is approved for PCA racing provided you are racing within the class that is specified for your car, in this case E class for a stock 964. If you make mods to your car and bump yourself to the prepared class, you have to have a full cage.

Quick Reply: Dassport rollbar