Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007 | 01:36 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Default Smoking Oil Leak

I have an oil leak that is dripping onto the exhaust and causing smoke, which is a nuisance because I constantly get flashed with people thinking my car is about to burst into flames! I can see where it is coming from and it leaks when the engine is running. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar leak and if so was it easy to fix. It is quite awkward to get to but I have tried the obvious of giving the nut a tweak with the spanner. So I guess there is some sort of washer that needs replacing. The main question is will oil come gushing out if I undo this nut without draining first. I am hoping not and especially if I raise the rear of the car which should make this pretty much the highest point in the system. Here is a photo with the arrow pointing to where it is leaking.
Thanks for any help
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2007 | 01:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

That is the oil filter console from a 964 and the line that is leaking is the oil scavage line from the case. In your case, it looks pretty rusty. You may be able to break it free, replace the fitting in the oil filter console (about $30), a new aluminum washer, and clean and reinstall the oil like. However, if that does not fix the problem, you will need a new line. This require removal of the heat exchangers which will open up a new problem with rusted exhaust studs in the heads. When you try to remove the line, be sure you use two wrenches so you don't loosen the fitting in the oil filter console. If you get a large adjustable wrench, it will stick into the wheel opening and then you can get some good leverage on it to free it up.
Old 06-11-2007 | 01:57 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

+1 to Geoffrey

And I would expect the rest of your hoses are all about to start weeping oil. Lots of work and be careful and use two wrenches when you do it.
Old 06-11-2007 | 07:39 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

I found when I did this line it was easier to remove the oil console from the car (3 10 mm nuts) and let it drop out of that location into some more free space. I also applied heat and penetrating oil.. but be careful about the heat.. as you can damage the rubber oil line. (The stock unit is steel here.. but the aftermarket one I was trying to remove was stainless braided over rubber)

In my case the entire line had to come out.. and the secondary fitting into the console loosened up.. but never the nut. I had to cut the line with a hacksaw, then pull the whole beast out.. then put the fitting in a vise to loosen the big nut. It was a sincere pain. Put it back together with Copper paste.

I had to drain the oil btw.. but worth doing. Just trust Adrian on this, you want a 5 gallon bucket when you loosen the nut below the oil tank.... really.... no.. *really*...

If you want pix of the underside heat exchanger operation, drop me a line. I can talk you through it. It isn't scary as long as yer nuts aren't rusty. If they are.. careful heat and PBlaster works wonders. But reserve a long day for the job...
Old 06-12-2007 | 04:49 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I'm thinking this might be one for the professionals, as I don't really have that much confidence yet and my facilities are quite limited. What I might try is to bung it up with Oyltite in the meantime to buy some time. It probably won't work but got to be worth a try for 10 quid!
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:20 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

The principles are simple.. loosen nut.. replace nut.. but it is a cramped and confined work space.. with really big nuts (the oil line ends are pretty large, without a lot of room to work with).. and the other end under the car is surrounded by delicate stuff.. so it may not be a bad idea to get help.. just don't be afraid of your car.. its a very logical setup and not that hard to work on... :-)
Old 06-12-2007 | 06:36 PM
Scottie
Intermediate

Steve, I actually have the same problem except the oil is coming off the other hose connected to the console. And Geoffrey is it the same type of repair?

Scott
Old 06-12-2007 | 06:44 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Yep, most of us will start having these issues. I replaced all my oil lines this year and the oil cooler also.

Caution note. some people have succesfully bought non-Porsche hoses and they were okay, some have not. I just bit the bullet and bought all my hoses from Sunset.
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:52 PM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

The factory part is worth the price in this case. I have seen others that were installed and they twist and kink the hose even when installed in the best possible orientation. Just my opinion, Jerry
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:52 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I used 36 and 34mm (one for the line, one to hold counter) wrenches to break that oil line free when dropping my engine for a new clutch. The access is awkward but if you take the wheel off it's not too bad.

Quick Reply: Smoking Oil Leak