Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007 | 06:08 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Question Windshield Wipers?

Another semi newbie gripe.. but of course the 911 windshields are curved pretty sharply at the outside edges.. my driver's side wiper can't make it around the curve to contact the windshield all the way.. so the middle of the rubber is crimped.. and I wonder how long they really last? The driver's side wiper comes to rest pretty much pointed at the logo embedded in the bottom corner of the glass. Just low enough to be out of the way...

My audi have these trick wipers that don't have a structure behind them.. just a T shaped strip that allows them to curve quite a lot.. and keep contact with the glass. The parts store counter-wonk claims the aftermarket versions like that are no good... and the audi ones are like 26 inches long... and are spendy...

It rains a lot here in OR... so does anyone have a favorite solution? I have to guess that someone has addressed this before...?
Old 06-09-2007 | 08:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

My wipers last a long time (5+ years). I purchased the silicone blades from Performance Products (no affiliation). When I used to use the common Bosch blades from the local auto parts store, they would last about 6 months.

By the way, have you given Rain-X a try? I used on all my cars and find that it really helps keep the windshield clearer than without it.
Old 06-10-2007 | 10:51 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

When the 911 was very first designed the wipers faced right. Then a change was made so they face left .

Years ago I and I suspect others ,reset the wiper system to face right at rest . That means that I run bigger driver side wiper blades , 17 inch on mine , that work really well ! and because they lay flat dont need stuff on them !!

Lots of past write ups about this lot but I recommend this change big time .

Geoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200 , the oldest 964 on Rennlist , unless you know differently !
Old 06-10-2007 | 12:27 PM
jneteler
Racer

Red Rooster,

Do you have a picture of your wiper set up?

I'm thinking of doing the opposite for a RHD C4. I think I woud like to have the wipers at rest on the passenger side.

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 06-10-2007 | 01:20 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

JNeteler ,

Sorry but no pictures . Its a little fiddly as jobs go but effectively what you are doing is rotating the arm drive through 180 degrees at rest .

Have a search back for the number of procedures . I did this at least 5 years ago so would have to do a big revisit to get the memory going !!

Well worth doing though .

Geoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200 , the oldest 964 on Rennlist , unless you know differently !
Old 06-10-2007 | 01:43 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I have to do the change to make the wipers park on the right as well. Its on my 'to do' list.
Anyone have the links to the 'DIY's ?

The wipers suck as they are now. The curve in the windshield guarantees that on the first rainy day your wiper will be wiping almost nothing.

I also heard there was two styles of wiper arms? One with double springs? But I dont know what the part number is.

Kirk
Old 06-10-2007 | 10:12 PM
jneteler
Racer

Red rooster,

Sorry my question wasn't clear enough, mea culpa.

I am looking for a picture of your windscreen with the larger wiper on the driver's side not a picture of the DIY procedure.

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 06-11-2007 | 12:15 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

BTW, I got bored this afternoon and did a DIY on the wiper mod myself.. posted on the 964 list.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers?