Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am finished with hand polishing, time to machine polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if my son is going/carrying my equipment. Let me know when you're around. You can take a nice drive, and get a one-one session.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From my detail 2 weeks ago, hand and machine:
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

NICE RSA! How did you do that?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Thanks Hildy. I took me a LONG time. My car is a track car and the paint isn't the greatest, but I very happy w/ the results. Here was the process:

1. wash w/ Meguir's gold wash and dry w/ microfiber
2. hand apply Meguir's paint cleaner and hand remove (microfiber)
3. machine apply Menzerna Intensive Polish w/ Orange pad and remove by machine (blue pad) then hand
4. machine apply Menzerna Glaze w/ black pad and remove by machine w/ blue pad
5. apply two coats of rejex by machine, blue pad, remove by hand
6. apply Mother's Back to Black on trim

I still need to touch up the front of the car. The front takes a beating at the track. I also haven't touched the interior yet, but not much to do there.

Here are a few more:
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I am definitely done with machine polishing...

Got my wife's Audi A6 exterior detailed by Hawk911 today. He showed me how to properly use his Griot's machine and let me do a few panels on the car for practice. It's pretty obvious with the right products you can't screw up your paint and we used the very gentle Griot's polisher since the car's paint was in such good condition. "do not paint harm" is the idea.

The microfiber towels work great and combined with the liquid speedshine made polish and wax removal a breeze. Urgh, I would have killed for this information when I was busting my hump doing my 3 day hand clean, polish and wax on my A4. Car turned out great although as soon I left the garage it started raining, it was pouring by the time I got back to my house.

I now know what I am asking for xmas. A machine polisher!

Thank you to Hawk for the detail and all the tips!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Glad to help out Ricardo. At least you can see how well the wax beads up The product line is good for cars like Ricardo's, where the paint doesn't need much attention. My Explorer needs more than the Griot's line can do.

Jim- great job on the RSA. As they say- the cars looks dripping wet, and has great depth in that shine. I have thought of going Menzerna, but I can't get it locally, which is an issue for me. I hate to run out at the wrong time, and then can't find a refill anywhere. Which pads are you using; edge pads?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Geoff, happen to have any time on Sunday for a quick tutorial? I'm going to the June Sprints tomorrow w/my son, but even Sat evening would work for me.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Jim,

If I ever get the dust off my car , and polish it to HALF the standard of your car, I'll be very happy

What an excellent job you have done

P.S. Believe it or not, my car is Midnight Blue Metalic under that!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Hildy- I should be detailing a car tomorrow during the day, but working for the Brewers tomorrow night and sunday day. Been real busy lately; a few details a week

It will have to be later- like July. Best thing is to find an upcoming weekend and let me pencil you in.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Jim,

If I ever get the dust off my car , and polish it to HALF the standard of your car, I'll be very happy

What an excellent job you have done

P.S. Believe it or not, my car is Midnight Blue Metalic under that!
Yikes! You might need a pressure washers and a bulldozer to get the car out first! your car should be given to a caring, loving Porsche guy to care care of it. I can make space in my garage.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Geoff what do you use on the motor plastic and rubber to keep it looking good? I used some stuff last year that seems to attract dirt. I forgot what it was.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Thanks Hawk! I bought my Menerzna stuff here: http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html and that is where I bought my pads, I used these: http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-6inch-pads.html

Thanks Frank! Honestly it was a PITA and I’m not looking forward to the next one.

Hawk, please share any tip you have any tips on preparing the trim of the car w/ tape. What do you use for the real thin trim? I have just been tearing up my blue painters tape to fit, but that takes forever. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I have not taped yet; trying to avoid it. Autopians use tape also; there may be a thinner painter's tape for thin areas. Depending on the wax, some dry white, others don't. I have wax that dries white.

Jim; I don't generally detail the engines, but Autopians like Tuxedo dressing. Don't know the brand. For the plastic trim, I use Griot's vinyl and rubber dressing, but again Tuxedo or similar products should work fine. It's best to get a sponge for specifically that. My idea is to VERY thoroughly clean out a bottle of the quick shoe polish, and use that style bottle for these areas. You get just the right amount of product, and very specific area coverage. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will work.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Geoff-I'm going to do the June Sprints thing Sunday when most of the races are. I sent you an e-mail about the possibility of coming down to check out your detailing technique tomorrow. No pressure if that's not convenient.

I love summer, but it's already gone as far as my schedule is concerned.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Hey this isn't fair, I've been watching this thread to see how things turned out and now am completely inspired but can't find the buffer kit at griots garage - can you tell me what they call it or where it is on the website? My cars are feeling dull and neglected after looking at these pictures, I need to do something pronto. Thanks a lot, great pictures from all by the way!

Quick Reply: I am finished with hand polishing, time to machine polish