Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Antenna Booster replacement (Dash removal post)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drb930
I have to do this.
Does anyone know if the antenna wire that goes into the radio can be repaired?

Thanks,
Dave
The wire is so thin it's very hard to do. I tried putting a new coaxial plug onto the end of it but had no luck getting a good connection. Other then the cost of a new booster replacing it is not that big a deal removing the dashboard.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I see Porsche sells a new antenna cable, has anyone done this?
Porsche part number: 964-645-263-00
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

When I look up that number it seems to be for a radio, do you have any links?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 PM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

964-645-263-00

That number is correct for the replacement antenna cable.

Do you need to remove the dash to replace this cable?

Thanks
John
Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the end of the suspension madness thread. We just changed my antenna booster yesterday. Pulled the dash cap and changed it relatively easily (for Goughary, 964 ninja).
Old 07-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Noumea911
Intermediate

I am trying to locate where the connection between my WS and the cable is ? I had my windshield taken out and replaced and since then radio reception is poor, I guess something might not have be reconnected ? Should I remove the dash to find out ?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Default Antenna connection

On the 964 the antenna booster is on the right side under the dashboard. The antenna connector is also on the right. Removing the dash top is relatively easy to allow access.

Originally Posted by Noumea911
I am trying to locate where the connection between my WS and the cable is ? I had my windshield taken out and replaced and since then radio reception is poor, I guess something might not have be reconnected ? Should I remove the dash to find out ?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Noumea911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeP.
On the 964 the antenna booster is on the right side under the dashboard. The antenna connector is also on the right. Removing the dash top is relatively easy to allow access.
Thank you for that. I will remove the Dashboard and will probably find the solution. I am almost sure they did not reconnect the antenna when they removed the windshield !
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Noumea911
Intermediate

Right when I was starting to remove the dash I noticed a loose wire coming out of the dash on the passenger's side right next to the windshield. See attached pictures. Maybe this is the reason for my very bad reception ? Where does this wire connect to ? Obviously it has not been reconnected when they put the WS back in ? Does anyone know Please ?...
Any help greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by MikeP.
Right when I was starting to remove the dash I noticed a loose wire coming out of the dash on the passenger's side right next to the windshield. See attached pictures. Maybe this is the reason for my very bad reception ? Where does this wire connect to ? Obviously it has not been reconnected when they put the WS back in ? Does anyone know ?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

You are looking at the antenna connection to the windshield... The original Porsche windshield has an antenna wire embedded and the wire connects to a wire into the antenna booster - that's why you have the booster. If that cable is not attached, you essentially do not have an antenna
Old 07-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Noumea911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cjoenck
You are looking at the antenna connection to the windshield... The original Porsche windshield has an antenna wire embedded and the wire connects to a wire into the antenna booster - that's why you have the booster. If that cable is not attached, you essentially do not have an antenna
Thank you for confirming this. It is the proof it was torn out when the windshield was removed... Now that this can not be reconnected anymore, what would it be posible to do ? I am not sure if under dashboard for antenna not too visible do exist ? If anyone has a viable solution that would be great !
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noumea911
Thank you for confirming this. It is the proof it was torn out when the windshield was removed... Now that this can not be reconnected anymore, what would it be posible to do ? I am not sure if under dashboard for antenna not too visible do exist ? If anyone has a viable solution that would be great !
From what I have read, there's really nothing you can do. If the new windshield doesn't have the antenna wire, there's nothing for you to connect this wire to :/
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Noumea911
Intermediate

Thank you. I still have the original windshiels with the antenna in there but it can not be connected normally because the connector and wire have been torn. I just bought a small antenna booster but it does not work well, at least not like it was with the antenna windshield.

Quick Reply: Yet another Antenna Booster replacement (Dash removal post)