Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats was the idea of the front suspension being higher than the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats was the idea of the front suspension being higher than the rear?

I have noticed on my own and loads of other 964 pics here that the front suspension is raised only a couple of inches higher than the rear.
Is there a real reason why they are manufactured like this as i was thinking of lowering mine, but if the car is supposed to sit strangely then i may leave it? but if its been proved that these cars handle better lower on the front or level front and rear (which ever way you want to look at it?) then i may take a stab at getting that front down. But i dont want to be throwing a couple of bags of sand in the front, i wouldnt mind adjusting the suspension correctly, i have the tools to do the job but no info on the best lowered measurments, i have seen the pics on where to measure up in the search bar but i found no specific measurments for the job, i dont want it quite like RS spec but i do want to get it level and measured bang on. then aligned and camber checked.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

You have an appearance higher ride height ! I put a pair of C2 springs on the front of mine to balance it a bit . The springs were free !!!!!!!!!!

Geoff
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
rennmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason they are low in the rear is because of spring sag.
My front was sitting high so I raised the rear spring perches 30mm and this leveled the car.
I'm sure it didn't leave the factory sitting so low in the rear.
After, the car was much better to drive but I think the rear springs are stuffed, so I've got some eibachs to stick in, I'm just waiting on the shocks to arrive.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The car should be set for a front to rear rake of one degree. I expect that's lower in the front, but I've never thought about it before. Mine's lower in the front. It was substantially lower in the front when I bought and I had it brought up a bit as it was scraping nearly everywhere!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Rennmax: How do you adjust the rear spring perches?

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 05-08-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: change "change" to "adjust"
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
rennmax
Instructor

I removed the struts and used spring compressors to compress spring then I cleaned the threads on the adjusters and wound them all the way up.
If the threads are clean you might be able to do it with the struts still in the car using the right tool for turning the adjusters.
There was about 40mm adjustment travel and my perches were near the bottom of the thread. So that's how I was able to get 30mm out of it, but your perches may be screwed up higher. You can check by taking a wheel off.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffnudd
Ii have seen the pics on where to measure up in the search bar but i found no specific measurments for the job, i dont want it quite like RS spec but i do want to get it level and measured bang on. then aligned and camber checked.
Code:
Front Ride Height Specification (mm)

Model           ROW             USA/CAN
---------------------------------------
C2/C4           165             175
RS              125
Turbo 3.3       165             175
Turbo S2                        175
Turbo S         125
Turbo 3.6       155             175

Rear Ride Height Specification (mm)

C2/C4           258             268
RS              218
Turbo 3.3       270             280
Turbo S2                        280
Turbo S         218
Turbo 3.6       260             280
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our U.S. cars were sold with higher front suspension settings due to our bumper height laws. The cars look & handle MUCH better @ Euro height Since yours is a Euro car, I would think it would sit at the standard height
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Dont forget that ride height is not measured from fender lip to ground !
Its front/rear floor point to ground.
The front fenders have a higher cut out radius for front wheel rotation on turns.

The chances of factory springs height change are close to zero. I found after market springs gave a ride that looked sexy but was much to hard for long European drives.
On pretty well everything its damper quality that is the biggest factor.
I have used Koni top adjust for years and found that is the best place to spend money !!
For front ride height I used C2 springs on my C4 to lose a few mm.

No question that lots of thought and talking is needed to get suspension right for what YOU want !!!!

Geoff
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 1 degree rake forward is correct and the heights do need to be checked at the factory measuring points. The wheel arch shape difference front and rear will make the rear look lower (and it may be) but the only way to know for sure is to load the car with the drivers weight,put the car on a level (in three directions) surface, set the air pressure and check it as the factory prescribes. If it is off the corner weight and alignment should also be checked and reset once the height is close. Just arbitrarily raising and or lowering corners will no doubt create more problems than it could ever solve.
Good luck, Jerry
Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Looking at those measurments i am sure mine is nowhere near the 165mm at the front and 258mm at the rear.

Im going down to the workshop and do some measurments tonight, take some photos before i commence, i dont want to **** this up so im going to take my time.

For a change im looking forward to this job, maybe because it won't cost me much and it will be visual? not like the oil pipe that i changed on Friday that runs fron the thermostat to the oil filter. An absolute b*****d to do, and very very messy but no difference to the car, but i guess its better than losing my oil and buying another engine
Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

You measure from the floor to the third cad plated bolt near the steering tie rod aft of the front wheels. It is the bold the is higher off the ground than the ohters.

Jeff, Since you did that one the ones to the oil cooler should be next, and they are a little easier. Just did mine.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepaa
You measure from the floor to the third cad plated bolt near the steering tie rod aft of the front wheels. It is the bold the is higher off the ground than the ohters.

Jeff, Since you did that one the ones to the oil cooler should be next, and they are a little easier. Just did mine.

Luckely i did the cooler pipes and oil cooler when i did my rebuild as the pipes and cooler were mashed in the accident but the pipe to the oil filter looked like it had seen better days so i decided to change it because the fabric on the outside of the pipe started to deteriorate, when i started the job in changing it i wish i had never bothered as it was a pig to change, but when i disconnected either end and tried to pull it out it was so brittle it snaped in two.
It might pay for every one to check this pipe as this one in particular gets extremly hot just like the pair that run to the front, it looks like this pipe is often forgotton and i was lucky to spot this as i may have cost me an engine.

If you havent done so please check this pipe out by removing the right hand rear wheel, if it is original it will have a kind if fabric webbing around it and runs from the oil filter around the arch to the thermostat under the sharkfin trim, the pipe i ordered and fitted is factory fit from the dealer and a different material (more like a thick version of a hose pipe and black in colour) the dealer said they go all the time and i had timed it just right for replacement.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Code:
Front Ride Height Specification (mm)

C2/C4           165             175
RS              125
Turbo 3.3       165             175
Turbo S2                        175
Turbo S         125
Turbo 3.6       155             175

Rear Ride Height Specification (mm)

C2/C4           258             268
RS              218
Turbo 3.3       270             280
Turbo S2                        280
Turbo S         218
Turbo 3.6       260             280

I finally managed to get down the garage tonight and measure up the ride height on the 964, it appears even though the suspension looks odd being that the front end is high (or looks high) and the rear alot lower with the measurements given above ^ it seems to be bang on. So im abit disapointed sounds funny i know but i was kind of hoping that the front suspension was way too high so i could lower it, but it looks like im **** out of luck, unless i lower it? but this may upset handling, steering and camber and i dont want to be wearing tyres prematurely either.
So im not sure where to go from here? something is saying keep it original? but on the other hand as it sits there *** heavy staring at me and saying lower my front please i look a ploker and im showing my skirt. I really dont know?
Will lowering the car affect value?
I think im going to need so professional help please.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 05-16-2007, 03:59 AM
rennmax
Instructor

Can we see a side on shot of your car?

Quick Reply: Whats was the idea of the front suspension being higher than the rear?