Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats was the idea of the front suspension being higher than the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not believe lowering a car will affect its value...unless you bottom out and hit something bad.
Some folks like the look (I do) and others don't...really up to you.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rennmax
Can we see a side on shot of your car?

Some side views.
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM
asimler
Racer

looks perfect to me. i guess for looks only you could drop front and back a centimetre or so equally
Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

On my C4 I didnt like the front height so put a pair of C2 springs on the front .
Because of the small spring rate difference C4 to C2 and front weight that mod dropped the front enough to be OK but retained reasonable ride quality.
I tried Eibach springs first but they were just to harsh for long distance stuff .

Geoff
Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Red Rooster's C2 spring idea. The front gap tire-to-fender should match the rear IMO. A 1"-1.5" drop up front should accomplish this for you & the car will feel better as well. That will also give you the rake you mentioned. I have H&R's street/track set-up on my car & it is firmer then stock but was not too bad when I used to run 17" wheels. With 18s, it is stiff but I track the car occasionally & only put about 2k street miles a year on it so, they are a non-issue. If you don't track the car at all, I would go the C2 stock spring route

PS: Beautiful car by the way. I still love the original targa design. Probably will be my next fair weather car to add to the stable.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I'm with Red Rooster's C2 spring idea. The front gap tire-to-fender should match the rear IMO. A 1"-1.5" drop up front should accomplish this for you & the car will feel better as well. That will also give you the rake you mentioned. I have H&R's street/track set-up on my car & it is firmer then stock but was not too bad when I used to run 17" wheels. With 18s, it is stiff but I track the car occasionally & only put about 2k street miles a year on it so, they are a non-issue. If you don't track the car at all, I would go the C2 stock spring route

PS: Beautiful car by the way. I still love the original targa design. Probably will be my next fair weather car to add to the stable.

Thankyou for the compliment on the car, Because its a C2 already im pretty sure it already has the original stock front suspension setup, however it does look like they are adjustable, if i correctly mark up the original position i can always return it back if it doesnt suite the car, but from the feedback here it sounds like lowering the front is definatly in favour.
I dont think theres going to be any harm done.
I did search and found a couple of questions on lowering the type of suspension setup i have, the suspension is standard setup with adjusters on the bottom, but i think there are mixed opinions on what the affects are, some say it will only soften the suspension and some say it will lower, etc etc. so could we clear this up so i know where i am, some might say just replace the suspension but yes i do love spending money on my car but if i can utilize the units on there why spend the money.

I was going to show you my suspension setup with a photo i found here identical to mine on the forum, but ive been here for ages searching a cant find it
Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
rennmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look it could come down on the front, the rears look right. When you wind down the spring perch on the front just count how many turns you do on one side and do the same on the opposite side this will keep your side to side weight equal, but I'm guessing you will probably only have 10mm or so thread left to lower it with but that could be all you need.
Also the neg. camber on your front wheels looks non existent, I know that's what Porsche recommend but you could run up to 1 deg. no problem.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because its a C2 already im pretty sure it already has the original stock front suspension setup,
Oops, right your are

Guess that leaves lowering the perch. Show us pics of your results
Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

jeffnudd, you should not hesitate to lower the suspension. With both my 964 and 965 it was the first thing I did. Whilst your ride height might be 'right' I completely agree with you that it looks wrong. Carrera 3.2s, 993s, SCs, in fact pretty much all other 911s sit lower than the 964 and I never really understood why. All I understand is that it looks silly IMHO. It won't lower the value or affect the car negatively. I'd lower all round then make sure the set-up is set so it sits square all round. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffnudd
I finally managed to get down the garage tonight and measure up the ride height on the 964, it appears even though the suspension looks odd being that the front end is high (or looks high) and the rear alot lower with the measurements given above ^ it seems to be bang on. So im abit disapointed sounds funny i know but i was kind of hoping that the front suspension was way too high so i could lower it, but it looks like im **** out of luck, unless i lower it? but this may upset handling, steering and camber and i dont want to be wearing tyres prematurely either.
So im not sure where to go from here? something is saying keep it original? but on the other hand as it sits there *** heavy staring at me and saying lower my front please i look a ploker and im showing my skirt. I really dont know?
Will lowering the car affect value?
I think im going to need so professional help please.

Cheers

Jeff
If you just want to change the front relative to the rear you can just raise the back a tad. I would be hesitant to lower the front any lower than RS as you may run into bump steer. I can't think of a compelling reason to not have the front RS and the rear a touch higher. Of course any time you change the ride height you will need to get an alignment. But make the change, drive it a little bit. Make sure you like it and then get the geometry dialed in.

Quick Reply: Whats was the idea of the front suspension being higher than the rear?