Sponsored by:

Recharging AC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM
agentmacguyver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'm back with an update.

The port that was visible on the side of the compressor was, in fact, the low pressure side. I was confused because it was high pressure with the engine/ac turned off. Once I turned on the AC, the pressure dropped to under 10 psi. (Apparently my compressor was turning on, though I couldn't tell)

I added a can of leak stop with oil and a can of coolant. It's blowing very cold now. I didn't want to add more, even though there are a lot of bubbles in the sight glass, because the forums for the stuff I used said I need to use less than the original freon. If it doesn't feel cold enough, I'll plan to add more later.

For everyone who's curious, here's how I recharged my Porsche 944 S2 AC:
I used Freeze12 and just added it to what was in there. I called the manufacturer, and they said it is completely compatible w/ r12. Though of course they recommend evacuating the system for environmental reasons. But my system was already contaminated because the previous owner added an r12 substitute 2 years ago. (By the way, there are a couple other similar products, but I just used the one that was the easiest for me to find at the time)

Unfortunately I can't give a comparison to r12 because I didn't own the vehicle when it was new; but it is blowing nice and cold now.

The low pressure port is on the side of the compressor pointing toward the ground. So, I had to jack up the car enough to get under it. There is a hose connected to the back of the alternator that is easy to remove, and makes access much easier.

From there, the schraeder (sp?) valve should be visible. I added the Freeze12 until the gauge was at a little over 30psi. System was blowing very cold at that point.

I meant to take pictures while I had it apart, but was distracted as I was heading in to get my camera. Then I remembered it again after I had put everything back together and put away the jack. So, maybe next time.

I'm thrilled to have cold air again!! Good luck to everyone else!

'89 Porsche 944 S2
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 AM
agentmacguyver
3rd Gear

Default Regarding the leak sealant,

Someone e-mailed me requesting a follow up to how things are working. Specifically they asked about the leak stop and the cooling. I have no idea about the leak stop, but it's still working great two weeks later. My leakwas very slow, so I probably won't know if the leak stop did anything until mid or late summer.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad bought a case of the old R12 before he died 12 years ago. I reaped the benefit of that last year when I recharged my system. I replaced the recever/dryer, the schrader valves and a few o-rings in the system. Then I added 3 cans of R12 to make it freezing inside. The fix must have worked because the A/C is still freezing cold this year. When I first get in the car I max out the fan speed but within 5 minutes the fan speed is set to 1 or 2 because it blows so cold.

If you can find the R12 this is still a DIY procedure. You should have the old stuff taken out professionally though... I think it's the law. (If you live next door to the EPA) Hook up some gauges, then put a vacuum on it for an hour or so, then fill it up! It's an easy DIY.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 129 Posts

My 964's air had gone down to about zero effectiveness over the past couple of years. I had it upgraded to R134a several years ago, and while it was pretty cold after the upgrade, it lost its effectiveness every year or two. I've always had my shop recharge it, but they don't like that type of work, charge too much for it, and it is a hassle for everyone involved. Not worth a seperate vist, plus I do my own oil, so the car is not in the shop that often.

Well, I did it myself for the first time a few days ago and it is now working perfectly. Not ICE cold, but it was 87 degrees yesterday, the car is balck, and, with the fan on Max, it was TOO cold. $20 well spent (including the gauge). Now I will plan on doing this each spring, ($8/year!).

It took less than 15min and was far easier than an oil change. It is about as hard as changing a light bulb. On the 964, the fill location is completely accessible. Thanks to Rennlist for saving me time and money, and bringing my cold AC back.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
My 964's air had gone down to about zero effectiveness over the past couple of years. I had it upgraded to R134a several years ago, and while it was pretty cold after the upgrade, it lost its effectiveness every year or two. I've always had my shop recharge it, but they don't like that type of work, charge too much for it, and it is a hassle for everyone involved. Not worth a seperate vist, plus I do my own oil, so the car is not in the shop that often.

Well, I did it myself for the first time a few days ago and it is now working perfectly. Not ICE cold, but it was 87 degrees yesterday, the car is balck, and, with the fan on Max, it was TOO cold. $20 well spent (including the gauge). Now I will plan on doing this each spring, ($8/year!).

It took less than 15min and was far easier than an oil change. It is about as hard as changing a light bulb. On the 964, the fill location is completely accessible. Thanks to Rennlist for saving me time and money, and bringing my cold AC back.
I was converted to R134a about 2 years ago. Hot weather is back and the AC isn't cooling. Is there a parts list or instructions? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about doing this yourself? Most auto supply places have kits for sale.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:50 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I second "agentmacguyver".

I used Freeze12 and just added it to what was in there. I called the manufacturer, and they said it is completely compatible w/ r12. Though of course they recommend evacuating the system for environmental reasons.

I switched to Freeze12 a few years ago and its a direct replacements for R12. It is readily available and is $5 a can.

Before doing this I ran it by two friends that were both in the HVAC business - they both told me that changing gas doesn’t require a change in oil or receiver driers and that the most important thing is to use a machines to evacuate the system from the previous gas and fill it correctly with the new. Any mechanic should be able to do this.

Last summer I registered my AC blowing at 42 degrees at highway speeds running on Freeze12.

My $.02
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokin
Are you talking about doing this yourself? Most auto supply places have kits for sale.
Yep, that is what I needed. Picked one up yesterday and recharged. AC felt like it was blowing cold. Need to take her out for a test drive, but I'm calling an early victory. I prolly would have paid someone a couple hundred bucks for the $20 job. Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I bought one of those kit myself, it comes with a gauge. According to kit, the pressure (when AC is engaged) needs to be around 38psi, no more. How much pressure are you running??

Quick Reply: Recharging AC?