Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rome, Italy to Gothenburg, Sweden (2400km)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seight
On the way down to the South of France, there is an overhead motorway sign that congratulates you (using your registration number) for reaching such a good speed......

Really? Which raod is that on, I've driven down to the south coast dozens of times but never seen that.
However, because we're going in the 964 without the kids I am not intending to use any motorways. It'll be N roads mostly.....much more fun!

Cheers
Alex
I can't remember which road it was. There was a sign saying "cameras" - which I thought probably wasn't really true. A bit further on, the sign across the road gave my reg number and said "Trop vitesse!"

I was quite proud - especially since I was in a Ford Focus.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done two 4000+ mile jaunts each over a week or so long and have really pushed the car up to its limits and have had absolutely zero problems.

I know your going to take it easier Henrik so my suggestion would be much as your original post -

i) DME relay
ii) Spare belts - as i think it's best to know you have some that any garage could fit
iii) A couple of litres of oil
iv) Roadside assistance card - if you have one

and finally for emergencies only

v) A credit card

The ipod is definately a must.

I read sometimes the amount of things to carry some owners suggest and feel it is a bit belt and braces, do these people have no faith in these great German cars...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, nearly every post suggests taking a DME relay, if nothing else! Is this something we should all keep in our glovebox? I have been reading posts here for 6 months, and this is the first time I realised I may need to have one handy?

Are the DME relays a "consumable" ie. do they wear out (eg. like brake pads)? I assume they're just an "electronic" part, so they must be incredibly unreliable... can anyone shed any light??? Why hassn't someone developed a more reliable alternative if it is such a common problem???
Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
OK, nearly every post suggests taking a DME relay, if nothing else! Is this something we should all keep in our glovebox? I have been reading posts here for 6 months, and this is the first time I realised I may need to have one handy?

Are the DME relays a "consumable" ie. do they wear out (eg. like brake pads)? I assume they're just an "electronic" part, so they must be incredibly unreliable... can anyone shed any light??? Why hassn't someone developed a more reliable alternative if it is such a common problem???
I don't think they particularly wear out - but relays do sometimes die, and the car won't run if this one does. I suspect people only carry spares because they are so cheap - and considering what will happen if yours fails (car won't run), it's worth it.

Although it's considered a "common" problem - I haven't seen that many posts where people have had a problem with theirs. I've had my car 5.5 years / 50k miles and have not had a problem with mine.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
I don't think they particularly wear out - but relays do sometimes die, and the car won't run if this one does. I suspect people only carry spares because they are so cheap - and considering what will happen if yours fails (car won't run), it's worth it.

Although it's considered a "common" problem - I haven't seen that many posts where people have had a problem with theirs. I've had my car 5.5 years / 50k miles and have not had a problem with mine.
Now you've said it.........
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Now you've said it.........
Ah - but I'm safe. I once thought mine had died, so bought a spare. I swapped it but that wasn't the problem.
Sometime later, I thought it had died again. So I tried my original one and still had the problem. Rather than deciding that this meant it obviously wasn't my DME relay - I thought perhaps they were both broken and bought another one (which obviously made no difference).

So I actually have two spares. How paranoid is that?

Quick Reply: Rome, Italy to Gothenburg, Sweden (2400km)