Servicing Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Maintenance Schedule

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I am curious on what a "12K annual service" includes.
Maintenance Schedule
Old 04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marc

Yes I toyed with the idea for 5 mins but I live in an apartment and the car is parked on the street so by the time I made sure I had the correct tools etc it just seems too much hassle. Added to that I am out of the house 14 hours a day during the week and away most weekends, so I think Mr Northway will be making a few £ out of me for the foreseeable future!

Cheers
James
Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

On another note what would you estimate for a fairly cheap suspension upgrade, shocks, springs etc? £1,200 sound about right? My current set up feels a little tired after 123,000 miles and I would love to find away to do this on the cheap - if that is ever possible with a Porsche!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

u can buy all the brake components, discs + pads for £400-500. just ordered all new brakes for mine from europarts. and yes £1200 for the lowering kit is about right, and one ov the best mods you ca do.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 AM
brookewebb
Instructor

James,
I use Northway and highly recommend them. Not sure they would do the lowering work for you as you generally need a full geometery set up afterwards, especially given the expense of our tyres. When i asked Ray about this last year he didn't have the equipment. I got it done at BS Motorsports who are in Westcott, Bucks. A recommendation from a fellow lister here who uses them plenty. They did a full laser alignment which sounds most impressive. Budget depends on what you want to spend. I am a pikey so bought the springs 2nd hand off here, didn't replace the shocks as mine were good still. All in it cost me about £500. The difference is amazing - especially in the looks department. Come to the SE meet on sunday and you'll see what a difference it makes!

On the servicing I'd recommend always asking Ray's advice about what service is most appropriate. He is an honest chap and has saved me some good cash over the last few years.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 AM
jamesallum
Instructor

Thanks brookewebb, that sounds quite interesting and £500 is much more tempting. I'll have a chat with Ray and get his advice.

Would love to make the SE meet but weekends are so ridiculous at the moment, weddings, stag w ends and christenings all the way through the summer! No wonder I can't afford a decent suspension upgrade!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James, I think you will find that the £450 odd quid does not include valve clearance adjustment - but thats not necessarily needed. I would suggest though that the all new disks and brakes would be more than £250. I would say if the service is going to be £450 then you should be looking aty around £1K if all the brakes need doing.....
Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 AM
SJB993
Pro

Why not get Ray to fit the suspension, and then get the alignment done at OPC Reading (or ask Ray to get it done there for you)?

I recently had my alignment done there. I'd previously had an alignment quote from OPC Swindon (I live in Reading, but work in Swindon) and they offered an "age of vehicle discount" for my 993. Reading's initial quote was considerably higher, but when I mentioned the discount offered by Swindon, they reduced their quote to £170 +VAT (ish). I guess the 964 nay be even cheaper.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

My car is in for 60K service right now. Estimate is $2K.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

So what is the main component I need to change to stop the crashy feeling over mediocre roads? Or should I accept that as part of the cars "character"? If it is normal I dread to think what the RS feels like in a straight line!

Cheers,
J
Old 04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

What you mean crashy feeling? The banging and thumping of the suspension? You are stuck with that unless you trade it for a Mercedes.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesallum
So what is the main component I need to change to stop the crashy feeling over mediocre roads? Or should I accept that as part of the cars "character"? If it is normal I dread to think what the RS feels like in a straight line!

Cheers,
J
Do you have the original suspension? If so, I seem to remember that mine was like that.....
Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 AM
jamesallum
Instructor

Yes it’s all original suspension and although I'm told it's not broken the whole car makes a dreadful noise when I go over the slightest imperfection in the road. Hoping there is a quick fix for this then I can attend to ride height etc later this year when I have a bit more spare cash. Handling is still very good indeed.

Quick Reply: Servicing Costs