964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can i find a cat bypass pipe??

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i find a cat bypass pipe??

I recently put on a primary bypass pipe and really enjoyed the deeper tone, however since this car will only see weekends and autocrosses, I want to go even meaner with the exhaust note I can't seem to find a cat bypass however! I find plenty of primary and secondary pipes, maybe i'm just not calling it by the right "description"..

My last question, if i go with cat bypass and primary bypass, do i need to do anything to keep the computer from recognizing the cat is gone? I know when i had my bullitt mustang i had to get an 02 sensor delete kit. Also, If i was to go with headers, would that put the sound WAY over the top??

Rob
Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
I recently put on a primary bypass pipe and really enjoyed the deeper tone, however since this car will only see weekends and autocrosses, I want to go even meaner with the exhaust note I can't seem to find a cat bypass however! I find plenty of primary and secondary pipes, maybe i'm just not calling it by the right "description"..

My last question, if i go with cat bypass and primary bypass, do i need to do anything to keep the computer from recognizing the cat is gone? I know when i had my bullitt mustang i had to get an 02 sensor delete kit. Also, If i was to go with headers, would that put the sound WAY over the top??

Rob

Try this web site. Its Fab Speed, they sell primary, secondary and cat by pass pipes....

http://www.fabspeed.com/964C2_C4_RS.html

They even give you sound samples of the products..A little expensive but well worth it. I know a lot of people that use their products.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:10 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

They show up regularly on ebay....

-CKKrause
Old 04-24-2007, 04:54 AM
bawmnot
Advanced

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo

Rob
Rob,

Don't know about US delivery from the UK stores, but there are several parts dealers I know about online who stock them, e.g.:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo..._exhausts.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

http://partsforporsche.co.uk/osc/rep...6bc0abc4689eab

I guess the Pelican site may be easier for you?

I had the cat bypass/primary bypass(cup pipe) combination fitted recently and I agree, the sound is fantastic. No problem with the O2 sensor - if you're lucky you can take the one from your old cat and fit it to the cat bypass. I'm pretty sure you still need it in there to enable correct regulation of combustion.

Cheers

Andrew.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Fabspeed with an oxygen sensor and my car still passes emmisions testing.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I have the Fabspeed with an oxygen sensor and my car still passes emmisions testing.
Steve - which Fabspeed do you have? The 964 European Pre-Muffler Catbypass Pipe? I'm also in Texas and have a no-brand bypass with O2 Sensor that I've been afraid to put through inspection.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
Steve - which Fabspeed do you have? The 964 European Pre-Muffler Catbypass Pipe? I'm also in Texas and have a no-brand bypass with O2 Sensor that I've been afraid to put through inspection.
Yes, that is the one and I have their dual out muffler. I did not think it would pass either so the first year I re-installed the cat. Laziness set in the second year so I went with it on and wala...it passed and every year since!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Steve, Funny you should mention the dual out muffler as I'm looking at their 964 Single Outlet MAXFLO Catback Exhaust Muffler right now........
Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
I'm also in Texas and have a no-brand bypass with O2 Sensor that I've been afraid to put through inspection.
I also have a no-name cat bypass "test pipe" with O2 sensor and mine passed inspection here in Texas.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

To answer part II of your question. When I installed my 'test pipe' I did not have to reset the computer. I might not have hurt to get it live mapped or something but it runs just fine with the test-pipe and the primary bypass installed.

I think you will enjoy the sound. It's pretty cool. Loudish, but cool. I got a lot of compliments on it.

I snagged mine used off the classifieds here. Personally, I would NOT buy any of the newer Flabspeed stuff. They seem to have forgotten how to properly flange the pipes. I bought a primary from them and had to send it back because it was totally mismade and could not be adjusted without splitting the pipe.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Nystrom
4th Gear

Does the car makes any more hp whit that bypass pipe ? is it noticible ?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I put in the Fabspeed cat bypass. It's nice quality. It's got the bung for the O2 sensor. I just relocated mine in the new pipe. No software changes required. The sound is just a little bit deeper with the cat bypass, not much. I do get some popping on deceleration. The power increase is noticable yes. It's subtle though. Weight reduction is < 20lbs.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nystrom
Very...on mine! About the same as turning the AC off.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nystrom
I never tested it, so I can't say for sure. I just liked the sound AND the fact I got ride of what seemed like 500 of weight on the rear of the car.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Lew964
Advanced

Installed my Cat by-pass last night and then took for a quick spin. From what i had read in the past i really wasn't expecting any noticeable increase in power, but on mine it definately has. At about 4500 rpm it really kicks in and seems to rev more freely to the red line. The noise, well it's a little louder, i have the secondary bypass aswell, it growls at low revs which doesn't attract unwanted attention then howls at you when booting it. A very combination and i wouldn't want it any louder.

The Oxygen sensor was a pig to remove and i ended up cutting it out of the cat.

Looking forward to the drive home from work now, bet the other 100 or so employees at my workplace can't say that !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can i find a cat bypass pipe??