Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Beloved 964 in flood

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it was me. I was advised by many to dump the car but was too stubborn because of the shape of the car.
Anyway, I only had water up to the electronics under the seat. After ALL that stuff (Alarm controller, transmission controller for Tiptronic, and DME), plus sound deadening foam, complete carpet wash, all oil changed, connectors for oil cooler, and a couple other minor things were replace the car has been real good. Total cost approx. 9,000 USD, or about 10% of the value of the car here in Thailand.
Of course your situation sounds worse because of the water depth.
Feel sorry for you and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkokian
Yep, it was me. I was advised by many to dump the car but was too stubborn because of the shape of the car.
Anyway, I only had water up to the electronics under the seat. After ALL that stuff (Alarm controller, transmission controller for Tiptronic, and DME), plus sound deadening foam, complete carpet wash, all oil changed, connectors for oil cooler, and a couple other minor things were replace the car has been real good. Total cost approx. 9,000 USD, or about 10% of the value of the car here in Thailand.
Of course your situation sounds worse because of the water depth.
Feel sorry for you and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hi Peter, So a nice 964 is $90,000 USD in Thailand??? Holy Cow! You know anyone there who wants to buy a black Targa?

Regards,

Steve
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen the import tax on cars ?
Its , iirc , 100% on new cars .
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Indycam
Have you seen the import tax on cars ?
Its , iirc , 100% on new cars .
Ship it over in pieces. Some assembly required...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

When you go to get the paperwork done , they are going to whack you .
Old 04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

yep, that's one of the hard facts about living in Thailand. Taxes on new "luxury" (vs. necessity like 964) cars are very high. The rate depends on many factors, including book price, engine size, etc. Shipping in pieces happens lots and false license plates are put on, hoping not to get caught.
When shopping for mine, saw a British 946 turbo what looked in decent shape at first glance. Problem was it had been cut in half and glass smashed out for shipping, before being sewn back together, refitted and powerplant reinstalled. Only reason it was registered was that the owner/rebuilder bought it from a customs auction which allowed registration afterwards. Oh, the other problem the price was still high. ;-)
By the way, there is "no" way to bring over a used car, at least for a foreigner, even if you were willing to pay the taxes to multiply the final cost. Thais can only bring cars that they personally owned abroad for two years or more, and then they pay all the taxes.
Hopeless cause, pretty much.
Indy, if you can put one in your pocket next time you come, I'll pay for your ticket! LOL
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I've got an early porsche spyder that will fit in a pocket , I could bring it over .
How would you like to buy my 89 C4 now and then take delivery in say about 3 years ?
The one nice thing I read was that the tax % drops as the car gets older .
So importing an 89 would not be so bad .

"there is "no" way to bring over a used car"
When I was asking the Royal Thai Consulate in honolulu about takeing a car over to Thailand , they said that if I wanted to take one over temporaraly , I could . If it got stolen or wrecked while in Thailand , maybe I could get my deposit back , maybe not .
And then my old grilfriend said that because of her position she could do things that others could not .

http://www.thai-la.net/etc/car.htm
Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
And then my old grilfriend said that because of her position she could do things that others could not .

http://www.thai-la.net/etc/car.htm
Need a girlfriend like that!! ............... Oh, we're talking about importing cars. Almost lost my train of thought.
Honestly Indy, I've been throught the ringer on this one. It's an age old debate among the expats locals alike. Yep, some seem to have managed to squeek their cars in, but not sure about the legitimacy of their claims. Our ClassCar club has been debating the issue as well (www.thaiclassiccar.com) and beleive me, some of the guys in the club have the connections/money/car enthusism/whatever to do it too, if they could. I think for most of us living here, it's like chasing that illusive end of the rainbow, then again we all need dreams to keep us alive. Not saying it's impossible though as nothing seems to be over here, but perhaps it's the patience and persistance that most of us lack that keeps us from doing it.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Dang , I thought I was gunna make a mint , dang .

Quick Reply: Help! Beloved 964 in flood