Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a 964 now... how reliable really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdrianIreland
Hi all. Thanks a million for the comments, some very entertaining ones there! I don't want to give the impression that I am afriad of the car, I am LOVING it... I have no problem spening money maintaining it... I just wanted a rough guide as to peoples general experiences....

If I was that confident and in love with my Honda I wouldn't have sold it... I am delighted with my new purchase! Just that when I was changing the Honda I was looking at a TVR Cerbera, until all the owners agreed that 4k sterling a year (about 7,000 dollars) was about right for looking after it!

Thanks so much again,

A
Well, to give you a comparison - I like TVRs but I would never trade my 17 year old 964 in for one (not even a new one) because I'd be worried about reliability.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:14 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Well, to give you a comparison - I like TVRs but I would never trade my 17 year old 964 in for one (not even a new one) because I'd be worried about reliability.
I don't think you could have said it better !!

I just love the spirit of the TVR, but the execution.......
Maybe a TVR body kit for my 911 ?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Southampton76
Racer

Mine has 92k on it and I put on 15k a year in the srping, summer and autumn. Winter it sits on axle stands, resting.

My costs are about well under 1K a year but I enjoy every minute of 15K I put on it. Every 20k miles you will have to do the valves, so for me its every 18 months or so and that will add to the costs. Change the oil, do a tune up once a year and then whatever else breaks, fix it. If the engine has been rebuilt you should be fine for years to come.

I have a 2004 Range Rover, that thing runs me almost double in costs than the 964 and that is only a few years old, go figure. And my RR was the BMW made RR.

You buy a Porsche because you WANT a Porsche. Drive it, enjoy it and fix it when it breaks.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 180K miles on mine. I figure about $1000 per year on maintenance. This year was $2.5K because I decided to do shocks /spings, all the oil lines and change to R-134.

in compariuson my daughter just totalled her 2001 BMW 330I, she was uninjured. Her depreciation loss was $4k per year for the 2 1/2 years plus about $500 per year in maintenance.

I drive mine daily without a thought that it would not be totally reliable.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
BongoBradley
Advanced

I had the same fear as Adrian -- I bought my 93 964 last June... no big surprises for a 14 year old car.
Some little ones though

In the almost year of driving it daily though - it has been as reliable as my Subaru... always starts. Chugs through the rain and snow of winter here in Seattle.
There are thousands to spend on things I want to do... but that isn't the same as maintenance...

I will admit the first time I had just the oil changed I was shocked how much it cost - lol. Compare that to a Honda or Subaru...

Enjoy the ride. I will admit that each time I drive it and shift from first to second I get a little smile on my face...
Old 04-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

No doubt they all take some money to keep on the road, but that's not the "problem". The real "problem" is that empty feeling I get of not being able to drive it when waiting for parts and getting the car out of the shop!
Ever get that feeling? ;-)
Old 04-22-2007, 03:12 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Bangkokian
No doubt they all take some money to keep on the road, but that's not the "problem". The real "problem" is that empty feeling I get of not being able to drive it when waiting for parts and getting the car out of the shop!
Ever get that feeling? ;-)
+1 YES, big time. Mine is in the shop at the moment getting some small things done... and although I didn't have any real plans to drive anywhere this weekend, knowing I CAN'T drive it is frustrating me just the same.

I have started planning my attack on the Targa Tasmania for this time next year!

Quick Reply: I've got a 964 now... how reliable really?