Sponsored by:

McIntosh installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question McIntosh installation

I now have a McIntosh MCD400 CD changer to install. Anyone done it themselves? Secret ways to snake the optical cable from the radio into the trunk? Relatively non-invasive places to bolt the changer into place up there? Enquiring minds ...

Actually, don't really trust the local car audio shop to do the Right Thing.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a Pionner changer under the drivers seat and routed the cables under the carpet. Nice and simple
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 964 there was a changer in the glove box. In fact it's still *in* the glovebox, but the glovebox is in storage in my garage. I went with an iPod.

The in-glove install is very inconspicous and actaully, I don't put anything in the glovebox on either car so I was not missing anything, I suppose. Although, I'd happily trade the modified glovebox for a stock one (hell, you can even have the Apline changer, that works, too!

For me the trunk install was out of the question. Not due to routing issues (I was the managing installer at a couple of high-end audio shops in Palo Alto, CA) but the space in my trunk is used almost daily for moving servers back and forth from work, or the kids backpacks, or.. sheesh.. gallon jugs of Mobile 1 for oil changes too. LOL.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd like to see pics of the final install. You can take yourself out of the install bays, but you can't take the install bays out of you (hm.. that sounds weird).
Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 AM
grankin
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by MA7008O
I installed a Pionner changer under the drivers seat and routed the cables under the carpet. Nice and simple
Been crawling around, getting my knees dirty (one day I'll sweep that garage floor ... but not today), looking for a nice, subtle place under the carpet that won't interfere with the pedals and which won't get accidentally kicked when operating said pedals and am getting frustrated.

It looks (repeat: looks) like I could route the cable under the floorboard. behind the panel that the pedals protrude through, thence up to the back of the radio but I keep finding obstructions when I try to run the cable snake through and I'm too lazy to disassemble the floorboard and the panel the pedals pass through, mostly for fear that it'll be fruitless.

Anbody do this? Anybody have better thoughts?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a Blaupunkt CD changer in my trunk. I have it sitting in the open space inside the spare tire. It is mounted to a piece of wood which keeps the changer centered. The height worked out really well. The top of the changer matches the top of the spare tire so the carpet lays flat.

I had this installed by a professional stereo shop about 7 years ago. Its worked very well for me. Although lately, I've been toying with ripping it out and wiring in an iPod jack instead. My CD changer holds 10 CDs and my iPod hold zillions.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I have a Blaupunkt CD changer in my trunk. I have it sitting in the open space inside the spare tire. It is mounted to a piece of wood which keeps the changer centered. The height worked out really well. The top of the changer matches the top of the spare tire so the carpet lays flat.
My Alpine is the same. The cable passes through a grommet - I think I did it on the driver side (RHD) - it's above the pedals. You'll need a torch to do it, but it's not too bad. If I remember correctly, it comes out in the trunk area somewhere near the fuse box.

Quick Reply: McIntosh installation