Sponsored by:

OT: Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Track Car

OK, so I know it's not a 964 or even a Porsche but I can't resist showing you all my new toy. I know that many of you have the track-day or racing bug and I've now caught it myself (the recent trip to the Ring sealed it - I had to have a toy!). I wanted something that was already as stripped and modded as possible to save me the initial work but which would leave me scope for learning and deciding what to do next. I wanted enough power to be fun but more importantly a good chassis that would let me have some good oversteer fun - so front-engined and rear-drive. And it had to be cheap of course!

So, I've ended up with an E36 BMW 325i which has been fully stripped and used for track days but is road legal (just got it through the MOT). It's had the suspension fully replaced as have brakes with drilled disks and braided hoses. The engine is standard. It has racing seats and four point harnesses. My next steps are to get a fire extinguisher and cage. Before any other mods I want to get it on track and start to learn about it. Going to the Bedford Autodrome track day on May 6th to begin my fun . I'd love to hear from other track regulars with any advice, either modding related or driving related.

Last edited by kusee pee; 02-27-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great move Tim, you're going to love it (even though you won't be using the Porker).

The best tip I can give is if you haven't already done so, book an instructor. You'll enjoy the rest of the day so much more.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
dboyle
Intermediate

I have been a member of the BMW Owners Club for a few years now as a way to get on the track. More track days ='s more fun IMHO.

Agree completely with the instructor recommendation. I have had a few different instructors and it is interesting the different lines they recommend on the same track. The key is to leave the ego at the pit lane and be a sponge. Also if you don't like your instructor, like if they aren't saying enough or being firm enough push to get a different one.

Also if you can get a ride in one of their cars that can help quite a bit. The amount of feel you get in your bum from the passenger seat is really rewarding when you get behind yours.

Regardless you will have a ball. Car looks the part! Congrats.

-Dave
Old 04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers guys. I can't wait to get out on the track. I'm looking forward to Bedford in particular as they have huge run-off areas so it's safer (and cheaper) to push the limits of the car and hence learn more about it before booking the trip back to the Ring in the summer
Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get on the phone to Germany for a supercharger once you have got used to it......you will find it surprising how 'affordable' it can be to upgrade non-Porsche cars...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been a BMW Club member for years too -- I have never owned a BMW but they are a great, friendly bunch of guys to hang with and they run more DE's and track days than the local PCA chapter.

The only difference I found in having an instructor is that many are not used to a rear-engined car (especially a C4) the line they advise is different than the PCA instructors.

Marc
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I have been a BMW Club member for years too -- I have never owned a BMW but they are a great, friendly bunch of guys to hang with and they run more DE's and track days than the local PCA chapter.

The only difference I found in having an instructor is that many are not used to a rear-engined car (especially a C4) the line they advise is different than the PCA instructors.

Marc
Good point Marc but if the day at Bedford is being run by 'Easytrack' (they often are) then the main instructor (Phil) is a Porsche owner and has done his time racing Porsches and other RWD cars.

Quick Reply: OT: Track Car