Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenons - HOW please ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-Xenons - HOW please ?

Guys I purchased a set of Bi Xenons to fit in the 964 however after removing the headlights and inner wing guards I cannot see how they will fit without taking a large drill to the car or slicing and splicing the cables.

So does anyone have an idiots guide to how to fit them without drilling, etc. Pictures would be a big plus.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trick is to take apart the connector that goes to the H4 headlight to trigger the xenon bulbs - that way you only need to take a small drill to your car! Then thread the cables through and put the connector back together. On my car I did this on the passenger side fo the car (UK RHD).

For getting the rest of the cable through (the waterproof connectors) you need to pull out the two big rubber grommets. I then sliced into them and split them, took them off the cables and cut a bigger hole in the middle to allow for the extra wires, then refitted them.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Pingo
Racer

No need to make any holes in the car. As Bluey964 says you can take the connectors to the H4's apart and cut/slice the grommet a bit. I mounted the ballasts in the fenders on the support for the front fender so I made no holes in the car and the installation can easily be reversed.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Pingo; 04-09-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Thanks guys, do you have anymore pictures please?

Last edited by 108.5dba-static; 04-10-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
a964man
Instructor

Andy, I'm in the same position as you in that I have bought a bi-xenon kit and cant see how this can be fitted without drilling some large holes even if I fit the ballasts into the inner wheel arch as pingo has done, it looks to me as if I will need to drill the headlight bowls and through to the boot, some pics would really help if anybody has some please

Andrew
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Really should take some pictures and do a decent writeup I know, but no time having two small kids! I ended up only needing a 25mm hole in the right hand bowl (looking from the front) on a RHD car. All the ballasts are velcroed inside the front boot as the cables stretch into the headlight bowls. The trick is to find the two big black rubber grommets that already hold existing cables and cut into those for the wires, then use a plastic "fish" to pull the new cables in. I didn't need to even drill the back of the headlight bowls for the newer bixenons as they seem to be shorter than the original type Phil Raby put into his 911&PW project car.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Originally Posted by a964man
Andy, I'm in the same position as you in that I have bought a bi-xenon kit and cant see how this can be fitted without drilling some large holes even if I fit the ballasts into the inner wheel arch as pingo has done, it looks to me as if I will need to drill the headlight bowls and through to the boot, some pics would really help if anybody has some please

Andrew

Totally agree. Perhaps the best way of doing it, if a little ham fisted, would be to to effectively rewire the kit. That way you can use the drain hole in the bottom of the bowl and the existing hole between the bulk head and the wing (covered by a grommet). That way the length of wires (too short) on some of these kits become less of a problem. It would have the additional benefit of keeping every thing standard as you can keep the existing Bulb connectors in place as well as the existing sidelight wiring.

Once I get some good connectors and crimping tool I will give it a go, especially as I currently have £120 worth of Bi-Xenons doing nothing.

And I will do a write-up with pictures.

I will keep you posted.

Refer the length of the bulbs - not a problem with my motorized units - they were the only things that did fit nicely.

Best regards Andy
Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Southampton76
Racer

I put xenons in mine last year and only made 4 small holes to mount the brackets for the ignition boxes. I put the ignition boxes on the inside of the inner wings and fed the wires out through the exisiting grommets on the inner wings, no drilling required. Had to make the grommet holes a little wider to get the larger cable through, but a small knife made that work. I looked at ignition boxes behind the splash panels in the wing but thought better of it if there was a problem etc having to remove the wheel etc. Easy to get at inside the boot. You might have to open up the headlamp bucket grommets to get the cable in there. I wrapped all the exposed cable in an old road bike inner tube, cut it in half and fed the wires through and zipp tied them and pushed them into the headlamp bucket. Its super water tight in there and all the wires are covered.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenons - HOW please ?