Sponsored by:

Superchargers of Knoxville?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Superchargers of Knoxville?

Does anyone here have one of the knoxville superchargers installed?
Anyone have any experience with them?

I bought a two year old used setup out of another car. So it looks like that will be my next project for my porsche.

Anybody with experience or advice can be my new best friend!

Kirk
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive by knoxville visiting relatives. Does that count?

kidding aside...

Could you post some pictures of the parts? it is a whipple isn't it? fits way up under the hood and the ic is stuffed over in the corner allowing the stock retractable tail to work?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you pick this up from Custom Coaches?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Yep. From Custom Coaches
Hopefully this isnt where you tell me a horror story...

Kirk
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

No, I know them very well. Dragon is a great guy. I was going to buy it from them. I really wanted to do the TPC route due to not knowing enough about the SOK's.

You will probably need to call SOK for the manuals to put it together. And as for the price, you did very well. Can't go wrong.

I was humming and hawing over it and never dropped the gun. I have been doing lots of reading and will most likely be doing a full engine rebuild, drop compression and turbo charge it.

Good luck with your install, let us know how it works out. Would love to see the progress. You should do a picture write up on it.

Custom coaches do brilliant widebody conversions. There work is flawless. The attention to detail is second to none. That is where my car will be going next winter for a full turbo body conversion.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Its good to hear they have a good reputation. Dragan seemed very nice and knowledgeable on the phone.

I finished my engine rebuild last fall, (not sure if you saw the thread I posted for that) and I was looking for a new project for this year. I was planning on going with TPC but this price was low enough that I figured I will make it work no matter what it takes. Apparently all of the original installation manuals are still with the kit. It has an intercooler, which the base TPC kit doesnt.

I am not sure if the intercooler will fit under a stock tail or not. I am also not sure if the kit originally came with bigger injectors or whether they used stock ones. I thought the stock injectors were limited to about 300hp.

I am going to have to borrow alot of advice from the tuning experts here on the forum.

When I do the install I intend on doing a similar thread to my rebuild one, showing all my mistakes.

This is my rebuild thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=10545

The motor is in better than new condition, with arp rod bolts, updated cylinders with sealing rings, new cams, etc etc etc. So its pretty much ready for more horsepower.

I havent received the parts yet, but when I do I will post all the pics.

Kirk
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Kirk,

There is a picture of a SoK install in the bruce anderson text. As the story went SoK was commissioned to make a whipple system that would fit under the stock tail for a race team. They later used (or at least started with?) this design to sell commercially. I do not know if the commercial system was the same, similar, or altogether different. Thats why I was asking.

I'd love to have a turbo/super system with the stock tail!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:01 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I believe it won't fit under the stock tail. I have the pictures and will try to upload them of your exact system. Dragan emailed them to me.

Also, I beleive the only manual you will get is for the EFI piggyback for tuning.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

K here are the pics of the systems.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
pcarcraig
Rennlist Member

The SoK kit used bigger injectors from Bosch, but were for a ford engine. These injectors were substantially cheaper than the ones Bosch made for Porsche and were equivalent to the turbo injectors of the era (i.e. 3.3). If you can ,do use the larger intercooler as this would make the system much more robust.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I read the section in the bruce anderson book. I had forgotten that they mentioned the SoK setup in there.
It seems to say that they managed to squish the intercooler under the regular tail.

(It also says SoK lowered compression by shaving the pistons) Which I dont think this particular kit required. I guess we'll see.

Kirk
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

You do not need to do any internals with this kit, you will most likely run 380-400 flywheel HP. Once you start changing the pulley for increased PSI you will need to get your pistons shaved to lower compression or whatever method you use to change compression.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirk, PM me your email address and I can send you the material SoK sent to me when I inquired about installing one of their kits on my previous SC.

Nothing earth shattering but interesting none the less.

I remember speaking to Paul at Sok and he advised to install the kit with the engine installed but lowered. His opinion was that in case anything needed to be worked on, the connections would be accessible with the engine installed.

Colin
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Kirk,
Try to track down Red Rooster, he seems to have disappeared for a few days? I know he has experience with SoK's original motronic ECU solution and their 2nd version that you should talk to him about before you install. What sensors came with the kit?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
I was humming and hawing over it and never dropped the gun. I have been doing lots of reading and will most likely be doing a full engine rebuild, drop compression and turbo charge it.

Good luck with your install, let us know how it works out. Would love to see the progress. You should do a picture write up on it.

Custom coaches do brilliant widebody conversions. There work is flawless. The attention to detail is second to none. That is where my car will be going next winter for a full turbo body conversion.

Jeff
Engine rebuild, add turbo, pay mega $$ for widebody conversion (you still won't have the turbos suspension and brakes)... don't they sell 964 Turbos in CA?

Quick Reply: Superchargers of Knoxville?