Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers of Knoxville?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ One step at a time. I wanted a C2 cab for my project. Most would say it sacralidge to pull a part a perfect car. I looked for the perfect car to start with.

I was going to do a top end rebuild and have TPC do the S/C, but i have been reading alot and boosting it will be the way to go. I figure do a full rebuild and take all the safety measures internally for a long lasting motor.

They sell 965 turbo's in Canada, I don't want a coupe. I bought my P-car from Florida and had it shipped back.

Money is not the issue as I could have bought a turbo car already. Each area will be done when I can do it becasue it won't be cheap. $20k for the widebody, $5k for the wheels, $2k for suspension, $1k for interior trim bits, $20k for rebuild and probably another $10K for the turbo install. This does not include the $40k to get the car here.

As for the brakes, that will come in time as well, just need to change the rears for 4 pot. Not overly expensive.

Jeff
Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirk,
I may be able to help some. I have an SoK set up on my car. It has about 35k miles on it now & 10k of those are track miles. It's one of the original SoK rigs from the early 90s.

I hate to tell you but I'm pretty sure you will need to lower your compression. Mine runs 7-8 psi of boost w/a big intercooler, 9.0:1 compression, ARP hardware, forged internals & custom ground cams. My hardware looks just like the pics Jeff posted. Measure your pulley on the supercharger & we can compare it to mine to get some idea. Hopefully, yours is bigger which would mean lower boost so you don't have to crack open your brand new motor. I have attached some pics of my motor during the swap, on a stand & in my car just so you can get an idea of how it goes together. I also am running the EFI piggyback ECU box. It's an antique & I'm planning to upgrade but it will get the job done. I should be able to help you w/initial settings & I have the manual that goes with the unit so I can shoot you a copy.

As far as a tail, when it was in my buddies RSA(we swapped motors so he could take his car to Cali), he had a stealth electric tail that looked like a stock raised 964 tail. He built aluminum brackets for each side, painted black, that held the stock electric deck panel. That gave it room for the intercooler & it looked like a stock electric 964 tail in the up position. I have the turboS tail since my car is a widebody.

Here are a few posts that may help some. You might want to also search under "supercharger".

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=836

Gary is right as far as just buying a turbo for less hassle. I had one of those before this car. Highly modded 930 w/hydrid turbo, big intercooler, billet wastegate, etc. Managed to get my boost to start coming in around 2700. Granted, this was back in the mid-90s so I'm sure technology has come a long way since then(variable geometry turbos, etc.) but the SoK car feels & sounds like you have a big block Chevy back there. Instantaneous, monster power. Much more linear then the on/off power band of my turbo car. My SoK car dynoed @ 450hp crank, 375 @ the ground & you get the power RIGHT NOW! I am running 11.5" wheels w/315 tires & traction is still an issue. Very entertaining

Gary's also right about the widebody conversion. The PO of my car spent $ 14k having it done in the mid-90s using all factory Porsche parts. Probably is $ 20k now so not a cheap proposition. I bought the car from him in the Spring of '01 from an ad right here on good 'ol Rennlist Did the SoK motor swap a few years ago. It's been a labor of love. Car now has black RSA interior, big reds & H&R coilovers as well. I really want a 6 speed & then I think I'm done

Anyway, if you want, drop me an email: royalbcat@aim.com & I'll shoot you back over my phone number so we can discuss your project further

Last edited by JW in Texas; 04-08-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

^^^^ your car is sick.....what a treat it must be.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Jeff! They will probably bury me in her. I'm pretty attached I commented to a friend the other day that I wonder what kind of motor I'll have in there 15-20 years down the road. Probably some 600+hp, variable vane twin turbo, ethanol running monster that gets 30 mpg. For now though, the antique supercharger motor is working just fine
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So far lots of great information coming up from this thread! It took me a while to read through all the links!

Jay, Your car looks fantastic. I think thats what we are all hoping to have in the end. Its just a long and expensive trip getting there.

When I receive the parts I will do a full inventory of what was shipped and put it on here, and I will measure the pullies so we can compare it to your setup. (Parts should arrive in a week or two.)

I wonder how you get in contact with SoK? Do they have a website? Email addresses? Are they still in business or completely gone?

I might want to lower the compression, and change the pulley to add more boost, change the injectors, or use a bigger intercooler. They would be the obvious source for some of this stuff if they are still around.

Before I put the SC in I need to drop my motor one more time and check some things out. I am still reading some detonation with the hammer. I want to replace the plug wires, flow balance the injectors, check the valve lash, and generally make sure everything is ok.

I would also like to get the car dynoed before the SC is installed, but the nearest AWD dyno is 10 hours away in Minneapolis.

Kirk
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Kirk,
Thanks! It has been a long road getting to this point but well worth the effort over the years. Please let me know if I can help. I have another buddy that owns a shop who just bought a car with this same set-up in it. He can probably help with injectors, etc since he is going to pull the motor & put it in a different car. Should be easy enough to ID the injectors with the motor out. His username here on Rennlist is: Cory Jump. Let us know when the goodies come in
Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Jay, hi there - it's been a long time. Your car looks great!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Hey Ruairidh,
What's going on! It has been a while!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I dropped a post onto here and pelican to see if anyone knows what the stock bosche injector number is for the 964. From that we should be able to see how high the hp can go if they stay at 80% duty cycle.

Here are some interesting websites:

Max Hp based on Injectors:

http://www.injector.com/injectorsele...58353a5c78d045

Injector flow rates based on model:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

Estimate HP based on blower pressure:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calchpb.htm

Kirk
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 AM
rideshootanddrink
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you loose heater blower with this setup or am I wrong?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Looks like you loose heater blower with this setup or am I wrong?
Yep. On the later cars you can do the resistor patch & still get heat. I just don't drive mine when it's too cold(not often around here). I have a turbo fan that I may try to adapt since they had intercoolers as well. Just hasn't been a priority
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Jay,

I looked into the stock injectors:

They are rated at 18.45 lb/hr (193.9 cc/min) @ 43.5 psi (3 bar) and 80% duty cycle
A 964 uses 55psi (3.8 bar) so the new flow is 20.746 lb/hr (214 cc/min) and 80% duty cycle

When I run these numbers through the max hp calculator using a BSFC of .6 it says these injectors are good for 160hp on an engine with forced induction...

It will be interesting to see what your friend Corey finds when he drops his motor out. Do you know anything about the engine? PSI Boost? compression? stock cams? Maybe if I am lucky I can duplicate some of his setup when I put mine in.

Kirk
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Kirk,
I think it's built like mine with custom ground cams, 9.0:1 compression & reasonable boost (8-9 psi) but I'm not sure. Once you get your stuff & find out what you have, I'll give Cory a call & gather some info. He's doing a bunch of racing this year so between that & the shop, I don't think he has done much with the car yet other then pick it up.

I know mine has big injectors but I don't know the size. I have never had any problems getting a rich enough mixture under high loads. Since so many miles, both street & track, have been put on it, I have never worried about it much.

PS: I just found a new exhaust solution. I'll fill you in when we talk. Flows better & is somewhat quieter. This makes the third muffler on the car. I have been down the B&B and Fabspeed roads already.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Jay,

Lucky for me I am working out of town right now. I would be going nuts if I was sitting at home waiting for these parts to arrive. This way I have lots of time to sit on the internet and research stuff instead of working.

For my exhuast I have a cat bypass with O2 sensor and a cup pipe. I kept the stock secondary muffler.

Kirk
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

This gauge replacement from blownsix is very nice:

http://www.blownsixdesign.com/new/gauges.html

BLOWNSIX SPORT CHRONOS FEATURES A 4 IN 1 FUNCTION:
1. Wideband Air-Fuel Ratio display in LED and digital LCD reading
2. EGT: Exhaust Gas Temperature display in LED and digital LCD reading
3. Boost display in digital LCD reading
4. Time display in digital LCD reading

All above readings can be digitally displayed on the LCD screen via toggle button. Also retains all existing factory warning lights.

BLOWNSIX SPORT CHRONOS INCLUDES:
. All Wiring And Sensors Necessary For Installation
. Wideband O2 Sensor And Wiring
. Egt Sensor Probe And Wiring
. Boost Sensor And Wiring
. Factory Wiring Harness For Existing Warning Lights Function

Kirk
Attached Images  

Last edited by KirkF; 04-12-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Superchargers of Knoxville?