Sponsored by:

90 C2: Brake pedal 3/4 to floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 C2: Brake pedal 3/4 to floor

For a '90 C2: When I pump the brakes, it does not get the pedal to firm up.

Just got car back from shop. New pads and rotors all around. Had system flushed as well.
The thing that bothers me is that the pedal goes about 3/4 to the floor and seems to have 2 steps in braking. In the first step, the brakes grip but only lightly, the second they grab more.
I was expecting/hoping that with all the new brake componants, the pedal would be firm. I've read a number of threads suggesting numerous things but thought to ask this specific question and see what comes.

Does the '90 C2 have a Master Cylinder which can be bled? How would I go about bleeding the hydraulic accumulator/brake booster?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:50 PM
1990-964
Pro

It sounds like you air in the brake lines. A thorough bleeding should fix the problem. You accomplish the bleed at each brake caliper not the master cylinder. That said if you just got the car back from a shop that performed that work I would hold them accountable and try to make them fix it properly. Good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 05:01 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was a P-car novice a few years ago, I bled the brakes and ended up with a very low pedal. I was nearly convinced that the master cylinder was a goner! Our fellow RL forum gurus suggested that the problem was air in the calipers. When I reported back that I rebled all again, doing 1 bleeder on each caliper, I was "advised" that the front calipers have 2 bleeders each (the second one in the inside portion is a bit hidden). Well, as I reported back, it burped air like a drunken sailor from the inside bleeders. Then the brake pedal was solid.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if you have the updated calipers on the rear (4 pot) instead of the standard 90 (2 pot) they also have 2 bleeders.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chodaboy
I was expecting/hoping that with all the new brake componants, the pedal would be firm.
Were you experiencing this problem before the brake job?

Does the '90 C2 have a Master Cylinder which can be bled?
It does (blue arrow in the image below) but you only bleed it when replacing the unit.

How would I go about bleeding the hydraulic accumulator/brake booster?
The C2 does not have a hydraulic accumulator, the system operates on vacuum assist. Assuming this is a new problem I would take it back to the shop and have them bleed the brakes again. Otherwise go out and buy a Motive Power Bleeder but whatever you do, do not try bleeding the system with the brake pedal method or you will probably end up requiring a new master cylinder.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason...ah,er, I mean Spicoli
Actually I think I was going to do exactly what you recommend. Re-Bleed ( have a PWR Bleeder) and see. I kind of expect the MS to be shot. Long story. Cooked my brake fluid at Watkins Glen late last year and had some "track techies" help me out to bleed by the pedal pump method. Really, my brakes have never been the same since... If I have to purchase the MS, i'm thinking of changing to a 993 MS. However, can't locate Viper Bob's contact info about the conversion kit which takes into account the difference in tube diameters between the old and new systems.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

I experianced the same problem and yes just like the guys said 2 on each caliper, made a big big difference, however because i drained my system i did have to also bleed through nipple on the master cylinder to make sure of no air and then bleed up the calipers.
Bleeding the master cylinder did make a huge difference.

Edit: Because of your new brakes it may take sometime for everything the wear in, in time that will make a difference but not a huge difference.

Quick Reply: 90 C2: Brake pedal 3/4 to floor