Sponsored by:

Maintainence Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintainence Questions???

I want to keep my car in top condition and really let nothing go....

I could post several threads but I will try to keep my topics limited and simple.

I have NO idea when the last time my valves were adjusted..nor do I know that they need to be. I have owned 4 Pcars and this one sound as nice or nicer than the others but this does not mean adjusting is not necessary. I have some records but yjey do not draw a clear picture. So if I redo a procedure so be it. I am sure it will not hurt and I need the experience.

Can or does anyone have a file or something to go by to measure how a healthy motor should sound or how an unhealthy motor sounds?

Secondly...what else should I look at to bring this car to top condition as far as maintainence?

The next 6 months are going to be good weather and I want to do some of my own work to this car including some suspension work but bring her to top condition is my first priority and them upgrades.

What do you think?

Last edited by MassGuy; 04-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Brian,

You can't judge valve setting solely by sound\. If valve adjustments are looser than spec, you will hear extra clatter. However, if they are too tight, the valve train will be silent. Valves that are too tight are likely to burn. If you are in doubt of the valve settings, I would recommend you adjust them.

As for what other maintenance items you should do? It depends on how you are using the car. For street use, I have had good luck following the factory's maintenance intervals. If you are driving on the track or auto-crossing, then you need to use more frequent maintenance.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I posted a spreadsheet a while back with the maintenance requirements that I pulled from a couple of sources: Maintenance Schedule

Quick Reply: Maintainence Questions???