Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve adjustment T/F questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment T/F questions...

Hi gents and ladies.

So I'm in the middle of starting a valve adjustment. Last night I drained the oil and all that so I could get to the really dirty stuff first thing today. However, a problem that I discovered last night is that I'm in Closter, NJ right now while I forgot both my Bentley manual and Adrian's 964 book down in Princeton (1.5 hours driving distance with no oil in my car = screwed)

That said, I have done a few valve adjustments before (on this car and a couple sportbikes) but since it's not something I do very often, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything since this is the first time not having a book as training wheels...

Here goes:

--Z1 @ TDC = cylinders 1 and 4 (4 on the second revolution). ---> T or F ??

--(Z1 + 120°) = cyls 6 and 3 ---> T or F ??

--(Z1 + 240°) = cyls 2 and 5 ---> T or F ??

-- If I'm trying to work on cylinder 1, its rocking arms should have a little play, while cylinder 4 (also Z1) will have no rocking arm play. ---> T or F ??

I think that's all I need for now. "For now" being the key phrase there...

Thanks all. Sorry I can't today!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

You can always just take a flashlight and look at the cam - be sure the rocker arm is on the back side of the lobe, and you are ready to adjust it. That way you can just start at #4 intake, and move along in sequence to #5 intake, 6 intake, then 4 exhaust, etc., so you're sure you don't forget a valve. It takes a little more rotating the engine, but that way you don't miss anything.

With your method you're more likely to miss a valve, or adjust them in the wrong position if you're not paying attention to the cam position.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garrett376
You can always just take a flashlight and look at the cam - be sure the rocker arm is on the back side of the lobe, and you are ready to adjust it. That way you can just start at #4 intake, and move along in sequence to #5 intake, 6 intake, then 4 exhaust, etc., so you're sure you don't forget a valve. It takes a little more rotating the engine, but that way you don't miss anything.

With your method you're more likely to miss a valve, or adjust them in the wrong position if you're not paying attention to the cam position.

very cool advice as always garrett. you're probably right that even though it takes more physical work, it could save a costly mental error. i'll have to try that.

i owe you a cup of coffee or a beer or something...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

so since i don't have the book... i need the torque numbers for the upper and lower valve cover nuts.

i just put them back on a few minutes ago, but they're just not torqued down yet...

thnx
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

answered my own question with a quick search...

9.7Nm (7 ft-lbs)

back out i go... i'm so dirty right now i can't even sit at the computer desk!!!

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment T/F questions...