Anyone with ANDIAL flywheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone with ANDIAL flywheel ?

The topic of L/W flywheel has been discussed to death

I know for example, that a FIDANZA or RS L/W flywheel will cause stalling issues

But Adrian recommends in his book the ANDIAL L/W flywheel, because it's a medium weight between RS and DMF flywheel

Now, has anyone an ANDIAL L/W flywheel ?

How does it feel ?

Does the car rev quickier ?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964C4
RS L/W flywheel will cause stalling issues
I know this wasn't your question, but just for the record, I converted to the RS LWF and clutch recently and haven't had any stalling problems yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

But your car is a RS, right ?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 964C4
But your car is a RS, right ?
No, mine is an RS America which is not to be confused with the Euro spec RS or even the RS's imported into the US for racing. My RS America has the same 964/01 engine and DME as any other 964 C2/C4 in the US.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:54 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've read alot on here about the Andial flywheel, but don't recall anyone stepping up that actually had one.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90% of the people that install an RS flywheel will not have an issue. If there is in your particular case, it is most likely the shop that can not fix it. The Andial is a waste IMHO. Little preformance gain, for more money than the RS setup.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

viperbob: what are efficient ways to solve stalling ?

There is a lot of talk about special chips, valves, etc..

What does really work ?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a search in the 964 forum you will find a ton of info on this subject. As was stated, some don't need any special mods to get the LWF to work. Other need chips to get it to work. Others just live with the problem. Someone made a custom chip for me that drastically reduced my stalling making the car MUCH more streetable. I have a Hall Sensor code that I need to track down before I can go further with the remaining stalling issue... Which is hardly noticable anymore when the car is warm.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

As Rick said, much has been posted previously (search for LWF). In the case of my car, I will say this. Most of the solution is modifying the way you drive, especially clutch engagement and release. I have only rarely stalled mine while taking off from a standstill and it was usually a) when the car was cold and b) me getting sloppy with the clutch release. In terms of the "classic" stalling issues (stalling when you are coming to a stop sign, etc), mine has only done that a few times (the most recent was yesterday, but I was practicing heel-toe and screwed up). It will usually drop to 400 rpms (which sounds like it's about to stall) and then pop back up to 800 rpms. And I don't even really pay any attention to waiting until the rpms are down before pushing in the clutch. I pretty much just stab in the clutch at higher rpms like I always did with the DMF.

My wife jumps in to drive once in a great while, and she usually stalls it on take off a couple of times before she dials it in. But she's used to the BMW M Coupe which has a very forgiving clutch.

Cleaning the ISV is the first thing to do if you have any stalling or idle problems (do that before worrying about chips). For what its worth, I haven't cleaned my ISV yet and I'm sure it would help the very rare issues that I've had.

After doing a little research when I was going through this same decision process, I decided the Andial solution wasn't for me. As already pointed out, its a compromise on weight, so in my opinion, its heavy enough that you aren't really gaining enough of the LWF benefits to make it worthwhile and its also very expensive. Perhaps someone else on the forum can offer some more direct experience with the Andial flywheel. I also would recommend chatting with ViperBob. I bought my RS kit from him and he was very helpful and informative. Very competitive price too.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your replies !

Quick Reply: Anyone with ANDIAL flywheel ?