Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to the nurburgring...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember bent barriers and the recovery truck have to be paid for before you get your car back if you try to drive like Stefan!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Don't forget to report back. My first trip is scheduled for June.

Oh and I forgot to say have a nice ****ing time
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my write-up of from when I visited in 2005:

They Don't Make Them Like they Used to!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I might add that from a video game perspective, GT4 is very flat feeling, and it is the tourist version only, no F1 track. It's fun, but the track has been homogenized to fit into racing with a controller on a low res TV.

Get a copy of rFactor for the PC and download the nurburg allroad track from rfactorcentral.com. The track surface has many more irregularities, and the sense of vertical movement is much greater. The Flugplatz is much more intimidating... you can also download the PCC mod and run the GT3 cup cars there. The various track layouts include the F1 track as well. High res, high framerate, and if you have a USB wheel for the playstation it will work on the PC. You can even get MOTEC data acquisition and use the i2 Pro software to analyse your laps!

That's pretty much an hour of my evenings right there!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
AdamT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I think we will be there over the easter weekend with the Yellowbird,

Take you for a pax lap if you want.

best,
adam
Old 03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Here is my write-up of from when I visited in 2005:

They Don't Make Them Like they Used to!
A very enjoyable read. I see you enjoyed beating Clarkson's time and reading between the lines, he seems to be a big hit over that side of the pond too. I hope you enjoyed the recent 'American Road Trip' episode
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
he seems to be a big hit over that side of the pond too
Yes, but we don't get first run episodes. The ones that are televised are watered down. Our best source is the Internet.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
tat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who's going to be at the ring over Easter, and would you like to meet up? If so, we'd better work out some way of finding each other! I'll be there with my RS Thursday to Saturday, staying at the Tiergarten. I wouldn't mind some pax laps if anyone's offering!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tat
So who's going to be at the ring over Easter, and would you like to meet up? If so, we'd better work out some way of finding each other! I'll be there with my RS Thursday to Saturday, staying at the Tiergarten. I wouldn't mind some pax laps if anyone's offering!
Good call, it seems like a few of us will be around. How about listing your attendance here as a first point of call then we can arrange a rendevous (and passenger laps for those of us brave enough to share the fun!).

I'm there all day Friday but am staying Thurs and Fri night (my travel-days).
Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tat
I'll be there, either from Thursday night or Friday morning to Monday afternoon

If you want a passenger lap, feel free to ask. If the seat's available I'd be happy to take you round. I'll probably be in a little black Seat Ibiza:

Finding me shouldn't be too difficult if you get up early: I tend to be at the barriers a few minutes before 8.00am. Dunno if I can pull that off on Friday, but that's the plan for Saturday and Sunday.

Meeting up can be a bit of a challenge though, as it'll be incredibly busy and congested. One option is to meet in the carpark of the Zur Burg, which is on the main (and only) road that goes through Nürburg: when leaving the carparks next to the ticket office, take the third exit on the roundabout. The Zur Burg is on the outskirts of Nürburg on your right.

Final tip: you might want to bring a helmet; quite a few of the faster people insist on their passenger wearing one, if only because they have a cage in the car.

Cheers,

JW
Old 03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Originally Posted by tat
When are you planning to go? I'll be at the Ring over the Easter weekend. Would be great to hook-up if you don't mind a f****ing weirdo joining your group!

TAT you are no weirdo (well no stranger than the rest of us when we meet up in Swindon) and that RS of yours is one of the best so please do not bend it. Very easily in the Green ****@ing Hell.

As for the RUF video, love it, love it, love it. Big fu$k$ng up to the driver of the yellow TurboR -

He drove it like he stole it - badass motherfu&ker.

Andy
Old 03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
tat
Advanced

Andy - anyone who willingly meets up in a car park with a group of men they met on the internet has to be a bit strange!

Anyways, been trying to get to the Ring for the last couple of years, and this Easter is the first opportunity to come up. I'm planning to take things really easy, and won't be attempting any lap records!
Old 04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Just got back and wanted to give a brief description of the experience. After much pondering I am going with "f***ing awesome". If there is anyone on this forum who has not been then I urge you to get there pronto - there is nowhere like it on Earth.

And Tat, you'll be pleased to know that the Fiesta actually made it back to England after it received the abuse of its life!!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kusee pee

And Tat, you'll be pleased to know that the Fiesta actually made it back to England after it received the abuse of its life!!
You went in the Fiesta?!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You went in the Fiesta?!!!!
We had a couple of 944s with us specifically to use as Ring Cars so I took the Fiesta for the journey. However, I thought it rude not to get one lap out of it! It was surprisingly good throught the corners but desparately slow on the uphill haul from the bottom of the circuit. And don't mention brakes.

The 944s, on the other hand, were absolutely lovely cars. Really predictable and easy to drive - just the kind of cars you want on such a complex circuit where it's easy to mess up your entries.

I'm now looking for a cheap track car to have as a permanent Ring Car. The place has that kind of effect on you!

What a place - you will absolutely love it

Quick Reply: going to the nurburgring...