Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have You Got the ProMax Chip? Worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PWW
Set the hammer to knock registration and I'm off.
Pickup is quick with what appears more pull in the 4000 and up rpm range.(I'm reving to 6k in 1st,2nd 3,rd)
A quick check on the hammer reveals 27 on the knock count (hmmm this cant be good).
A re run keeping the revs to 4500 reveals a count of 17.
Another run keeping the revs to 3000 reveals a count of 0.
If you can, try a few WOT runs and look at the ignition timing on the hammer and then reset the ECU (pull the battery ground connector for 15 seconds) and try again. The 964 ECU can retard the ignition timing a maximum of 9 degrees in response to the knock sensors so it might be interesting to see how much you have left on the table?

Originally Posted by Twood
I am currently running an Autothority MAF with a custom Autothority chip. Initially I will just change the Autothority chip for the Promax chip and leave the MAF in place (love the intake sound and it opens up the right side of the motor-easy to change fuel filters). If this does not work I will go back to the original air intake and air filter with the Promax chip.
The problem you are going to have is the stock AFM measures the volumetric flow rate of the intake air and the ProMax chip is setup for that. A MAF measures mass flow (kg/h) so companies that don't know what they're doing use translation boxes to try and convert between the two signals but it doesn't work properly so they also need to tweak the fuel scheduling to make up for incorrectly metering and calculating the engine load factor. Without a chip written specifically for a MAF you are going to have some problems, the conversion (split second?) box won't work properly on its own.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The problem you are going to have is the stock AFM measures the volumetric flow rate of the intake air and the ProMax chip is setup for that. A MAF measures mass flow (kg/h) so companies that don't know what they're doing use translation boxes to try and convert between the two signals but it doesn't work properly so they also need to tweak the fuel scheduling to make up for incorrectly metering and calculating the engine load factor. Without a chip written specifically for a MAF you are going to have some problems, the conversion (split second?) box won't work properly on its own.
Jason
Just so I am clear.
You are suggesting that I remove the MAF and go back to the standard air intake?
I am happy to do this and it will be interesting comparing the dyno reading between the MAF and the Promax chip.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Just so I am clear.
You are suggesting that I remove the MAF and go back to the standard air intake?
Yes, I'm suggesting that if you use the ProMax chip that you also go back to the stock 964 AFM.

I am happy to do this and it will be interesting comparing the dyno reading between the MAF and the Promax chip.
Having looked at (and posted) the ignition timing for other Autothority chips and comparing them with the timing set in the ProMax chip I'd be willing to bet a dollar that running your new chip will result in decreased performance!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"If you can, try a few WOT runs and look at the ignition timing on the hammer and then reset the ECU (pull the battery ground connector for 15 seconds) and try again."

Jason is right on. The DME ECM will retard the timing after a few runs when knocking occurs,
and there after the knock count will be lower, i.e. unless the chip has "pushed" the timing beyond
the 9 degree knock control. Thus, the true measure of the knock affect is the initial count shortly
after the DME ECM is installed.

"Yes, I'm suggesting that if you use the ProMax chip that you also go back to the stock 964 AFM."

It's a MUST DO!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Loren and Jason-sometimes you know what you have to do but it good to have others confirm your own thoughts.
I will miss the MAF but for a daily drive car and occassional track car I think reverting to the orginal airbox and AFM will be the way to go.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

The 5 recipients of the free offer chips (for 964) were:

Ken Hill
Bill Sybert
Gary Hill
Paul Wade
Rodney F Laszlo

All were sent out over 3 weeks ago on April 1. I've seen some feedback from a few of you (thanks to those that have done so already).

Did everybody receive theirs?

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com

Last edited by promax_motorsport; 04-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine, thanks.
Had some family issues to take care of recently.
I should have a chance this week to put it in put some miles on it.
Will report as soon as I have a chance.
Thanks.
Bill

Quick Reply: Have You Got the ProMax Chip? Worthwhile?