Sponsored by:

Its time to install a new radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Its time to install a new radio

I finally decided to replace my original blaupunkt radio, unfortunately it was with a casettedeck, so I have been forced to listening to MP3 with a tape converter which is bad for the sound quality.
I bought the most neutral looking Sony radio I could find (CDX-GT616U) which has a cd player and a USB controller in the front.
My friend has offered me a Sony amplifier to replace the original one under the passenger seat.
Unfortunately my Porsche is still parked in a garage for the winter 200 miles from where I live, so I can't install it just yet.
My question is, do I have to cut into the original wiring harness or will the connector shown below fit into the original connector?
Of course I have to run a new cable between the radio and the amplifier.
Another question, has anybody ever tried placing a subwoofer in the front?
I have my gauges out right now, and noticed that I could see right into the front, so I wondered if a subwoofer placed in the front would be possible to hear in the cabin?
Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Is it really true that no fellow rennlister has ever seen the original radio connector in his 964?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My power connector was like that (it plugged straight in), but my speaker cables had been cut (a previous owner had installed two amps under the drivers seat). I just made up a short little harness for the remaining wires (auto antenna, speakers and remote power on).
Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks, hopefully the same is the case here. Nothing has been changed before, so all is standard.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connector you have there for the Sony is a standard euro, you can buy the male connectors that plug straight into your radio, i have done this conversion myself by carefully soldering the male connections into the excisting wiring loom in the car, it has tidied up very nicely. However if you still have the original Porsche radio connections according to the website below its not needed.

ISO Adaptor website here.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Not on topic quite, but I just installed a Becker Grand Prix to replace the old Porsche original radio - a Eurovox I was told). It took the trained professional 3 hours to get it right - isntallation and then software technicalities with the ipod controller (lucky the price was an installed price!) but now I have a radio with mp3, ipod by cable seated in the glove box and controlled from the radio- not the ipod- so much better, and blue tooth phone enabled- so its phone calls controlled via the radio when doing the daily drive mid week. Its an excellent investment IMHO as I was always unhappy with that original radio (I kept it to show any new buyer buts that's all). Sure I should have modified the car but there it is, what's done is done.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Thanks, it is all original so hopefully its just plug and play.
The Becker unit sounds sweet, I almost can't wait either to use the USB connector in the front to play MP3...

Quick Reply: Its time to install a new radio