Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm going to change my interior to black - for a bargain price

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007 | 08:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dye just doesn't sound a good idea to me - I have zero experience with it and so am probably way off the mark but I can't imagine anything looking worse than if the dye begins to wear through in areas.
I would try to source the panels or have yours re-covered.

Also, trimmers here in the states (at least in CA) ask that you pre-purchase the materials and then have them do the install. There are many online that sell our interiors. The carpet kits seem very reasonable.

I also wonder, given the current exchange rate if you could order from the US and do this for a very reasonable amount? (If needed I would be happy to have stuff shipped and forward)

This is one place I was recommended online:

http://www.worlduph.com/selectstate.html

Whatever you do, make sure to document with lots and lots of pics!!!!

Cheers,

--H
Old 03-16-2007 | 10:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Dye just doesn't sound a good idea to me - I have zero experience with it and so am probably way off the mark but I can't imagine anything looking worse than if the dye begins to wear through in areas.
The dye (really more like a leather paint) works very well in low traffic areas. I would not use on front seats, but every place else it is fine. I used it in my former C2 turbo, and no one other than me could even tell which parts were not originally black.
Old 03-16-2007 | 10:14 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
The dye (really more like a leather paint) works very well in low traffic areas. I would not use on front seats, but every place else it is fine. I used it in my former C2 turbo, and no one other than me could even tell which parts were not originally black.
Hmmm...doesn't boost my confidence much! I'd have to recover all...
Old 03-16-2007 | 11:13 PM
greenjt
Racer

Originally Posted by puma1824
Might want to try Original Fit Interiors...I think I paid $450 USD for German Silverknit carpet set. Even though they're in the USA it may be cheaper to have them shipped over to you. One word of caution, while the carpet set is EXCELLENT, it did take a little longer than expected to ship to me.

Puma - How does one get in touch with OFI? Is there a website?
Old 03-17-2007 | 01:45 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greenjt
Puma - How does one get in touch with OFI? Is there a website?
I expect these are the same kits:

http://www.worlduph.com/selectstate.html
Old 03-17-2007 | 04:37 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I've slept on it, and I still think dye is the way to go - at least in the short term, and as mentioned earlier it will only be on low traffic areas.

If the dye does wear there is nothing to stop me trying to find black panels in the future, or getting them recovered. Having the dye done is only a few hundred pounds - not a significant amount of money.
Old 03-17-2007 | 01:05 PM
Svaha
Pro

Dyeing leather can produce long-lasting results, even on wear areas. For the vinyl bits, check out SEM Color Coat. I reworked the color scheme on the interior of my car with it, it's easy enough that anyone can do it themselves. The Color Coat is actually a paint, unlike any other I've worked with before. If the vinyl is properly prepped, the Color Coat adheres as though it were original. Scuff tests came up aces. Post 13 of this thread references the color change I undertook, the total cost was $33.
Old 03-17-2007 | 06:27 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Dave- I am really interested in how the carpets turn out for you. I would like to replace my White carpets with blue but keep the linnen seats and door cards. I think this would look quite good and the dash is blue and the seats and door handles etc are linnen

The previous owner tried to clean the carpet and basically they just turned grey as the dirt lifted out.

Will he be using Porsche carpet? It is obtainable I spoke to a guy who re trims VW beetles and he had samples in all the Porsche colours. He did say he could take my carpets out make a template then re fit the new stuff. He made it all in his shed, Im sure he was capable and his beetle stuff was great, I just didnt want to let him lose ripping out the carpet on the 964

PS. I had my linnen seats died last year. results were quite good. However the paint is wearing in some parts. this may be due to my fat **** though also the car was used every day until recently.
Overall a happy bunny though.
Old 03-17-2007 | 06:55 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I don't know how important originalty is. Changing the colour is fine, but I would want the whole thing to look like an original car. Dieing could well be OK, but if the carpets aren't right, I would imagine the car could look ..............less than original!
Old 03-17-2007 | 07:09 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pesty
Dave- I am really interested in how the carpets turn out for you. I would like to replace my White carpets with blue but keep the linnen seats and door cards. I think this would look quite good and the dash is blue and the seats and door handles etc are linnen

The previous owner tried to clean the carpet and basically they just turned grey as the dirt lifted out.

Will he be using Porsche carpet? It is obtainable I spoke to a guy who re trims VW beetles and he had samples in all the Porsche colours. He did say he could take my carpets out make a template then re fit the new stuff. He made it all in his shed, Im sure he was capable and his beetle stuff was great, I just didnt want to let him lose ripping out the carpet on the 964

PS. I had my linnen seats died last year. results were quite good. However the paint is wearing in some parts. this may be due to my fat **** though also the car was used every day until recently.
Overall a happy bunny though.
I'm not sure why anyone would need to do this when decent carpet sets are available and are not too overly expensive? I would buy a quality set from a reputable source along with a matching set of covers for the seats, trim pieces, door panels etc and get it all done by someone you trust who has done the work for someone else and can be trusted.

I recall 'PZULL' had his car completely re-trimmed and it looked simply amazing:
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2007 | 07:16 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

is there no body out there with blue carpet and linnen seats? My floor mats are blue anyway.
I thought Id seen that combo on a few cars which is where I got the idea from. Thought it would look good with the dash and top of doors blue.
Its was just an idea as light carpets are hard to keep clean with 2 kids in an everyday use car in the UK probably will keep teh carpet the same colour as it is now that the car is weekend use only.

Kadmous I will search for PZULL post. yes it looks great.

Kadmous said"get it all done by someone you trust who has done the work for someone else and can be trusted"

Which is why I said I would be interested in how daves turns out and why I didnt go with the VW guy.

I have had quotes for carpets from a trimmer in the UK but they were way out of my price range. we were talking £600 plus fitting and I think carpet for door pockets was extra and probably VAT was on top at 17%

when you consider you can get a full set of silverknit carpet from america on ebay for about $500 I did not consider it good value. unfortunately They only do LHD

Last edited by Pesty; 03-17-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2007 | 08:34 PM
DaveK
Race Car

No, he's not using official Porsche carpet - he takes the old carpet out and uses it as a template.

Originality is not important to me. As long as he makes a good job of it, and it has been done properly, then I'll be happy.
Old 03-17-2007 | 08:43 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks dave.

I have emailed the company Kadmus put up and another place in the states also a UK place. Still be interested to know if they do a good job.
It sounds like the same sort of thing as that VW guy. He could get silverknit though
Old 03-18-2007 | 05:27 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I've woken up this morning wondering if I really do want to change the colour. I've never really liked the tan interior and have always felt it should be black - but for some reason, I'm now wondering whether I really do want to change it or whether I should simply get the seats done.

I can't have the car off the road until mid-April anyway so I guess I've got time to decide.
Old 03-18-2007 | 06:48 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Be good to see what the carpet looks like Dave, I'm not wholly convinced by Silverknit, I had southbound send me some samples through........It looks cheap and nasty if I'm honest.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm going to change my interior to black - for a bargain price