Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Approved Tires (Sorry another Tire Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Porsche Approved Tires (Sorry another Tire Thread)

I am looking to get tires for my C2 and Tire Rack says the following are Porsche approved:

*Michelin PS2
*Conti Sport 2
*Pirelli Pzero Assymetrico
*Bigstone S02

What is the difference between a Porsche Approved tire and a non approved tire? Is it a special size, compound etc?

I have searched the threads here and everyone loves the Michelins from what I can see, but they are some serious bucks.

I have a set of Pirellis on my car that are pretty old and worn. The PO had a few DE's in them and they have about 10k miles on it.

I plan on doing at least 1 DE this year in August and maybe 2 a year after that. But otherwise my car will be used for having fun around town, drives to work.

Some of you guys are trying out some Toyos and Kumhos.
Can anyone compare them to the Porsche Approved tires for ride and handling ?(I realize that there is a huge price difference).
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing magical about a "Porsche OEM tire". They're round and black just like all of the others. What the OEM designation means is that "this" is the tire that Porsche chose to tune their suspension around. Camber, caster, spring rates and shock valving, in concert with those particular tires is the way Porsche set the car up, and in concert, gives the feel that the Porsche engineers want. Change anything, and I mean ANYTHING, and you no longer have that setup. So there is no reason to worry about what is OEM or not once you start modding your car. And on your car, that OEM feel is long gone, so get the tire that does the job that you want it to. That would mean selecting the balance between dry & wet grip, wear, noise, harshness and price.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Porsche Approved Tires (Sorry another Tire Thread)