Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after 500 miles each way, my 964 is finally home! initial thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:21 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 500 miles each way, my 964 is finally home! initial thoughts..

Finally got back home after a long trip to get the 911(we took a truck and trailer to get it). I was able to give it a run through its paces at the dealership and i have a few comments:

-DEFINITELY a light flywheel and racing clutch.. the clutch feel was very heavy and the revs drop quickly. However, if i stall it at a light, i usually have to start it a couple times before it catches(im guessing because of the light flywheel) but it never stalls if i just drop the idle a few thousand revs.

-the car handled really well, I was very impressed with the way it was setup with the suspension! This will defiintely be a good auto-x or track day car!
-I love the 964s, they just have so much soul

now for the concerns-

Drivers side headlight needs a new housing as i noticed it was loose and a couple of the tabs were broken(no biggie i hope)

this is the one thats weird.. looking at the gauges, they all look completely normal, in great shape, etc... however when i pulled the car off the trailer at midnight, fired her up and put on the lights, my speedometer looked like a starry night sky(it was all easy to read but you could see white specks everywhere like the back light is showing through)... None of the other gauges do this, and carfax verified along with service receipts the mileage of the car so i dont think it was a different tach put in.. Has this happened to anyone else's gauge?? thanks for hopefully putting my mind at ease!

Rob
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
this is the one thats weird.. looking at the gauges, they all look completely normal, in great shape, etc... however when i pulled the car off the trailer at midnight, fired her up and put on the lights, my speedometer looked like a starry night sky(it was all easy to read but you could see white specks everywhere like the back light is showing through)... None of the other gauges do this, and carfax verified along with service receipts the mileage of the car so i dont think it was a different tach put in.. Has this happened to anyone else's gauge?? thanks for hopefully putting my mind at ease!

Rob
Congrats on the car, I hope you're enjoying it. Both my 964s have had the problem you mention on one of the gauges, I regarded it as a it of a pain but have lived with it in both cases. I presumed that it was just some type of paint-fade. I'd just live with it and don't worry. Just get on with enjoying
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm glad you're having fun with the car

The peeling gauge faces are a common problem on our cars, North Hollywood Speedometer will fix it for you for $100 or so: http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

thanks for putting my mind at ease!!! After driving it a bit today, I totally understand the reason you guys love these cars!!

One other issue that concerns me however is the oil level gauge.. When i'm idling, it reads full and during normal driving it reads in the middle... However, once my foot is in it the level drops into the low and on the orange mark! Also noticed when i brake hard the level goes up(from all the oil rushing to the sensor i'm guessing)... Could this be a faulty gauge or something i need to have checked out???
Old 03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

thanks for putting my mind at ease!!! After driving it a bit today, I totally understand the reason you guys love these cars!!

One other issue that concerns me however is the oil level gauge.. When i'm idling, it reads full and during normal driving it reads in the middle... However, once my foot is in it the level drops into the low and on the orange mark! Also noticed when i brake hard the level goes up(from all the oil rushing to the sensor i'm guessing)... Could this be a faulty gauge or something i need to have checked out???
just answered my own question with the search feature, thank GOD thats normal!!! How do you guys get used to seeing a gauge go to the red like that
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil guage is only good for a very narrow range (a slight difference in actual level makes a big difference on the guage), and it's really only good when you're idling motionless on level ground. The bouncing around is completely normal.

Check the dipstick (warm, flat and level, idling) to make sure the oil is at the right level, and correlate it with what you see on the guage. Then try not worry about what it does while you're driving around.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

...How do you guys get used to seeing a gauge go to the red like that
You mean like the TACH?!!!

Just bustin' chops, everybody here knows that mine never gets there..

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

just answered my own question with the search feature, thank GOD thats normal!!! How do you guys get used to seeing a gauge go to the red like that
It used to freak me out too! Once you know it's normal you just live with it. It's not the best way to check oil level - use the dipstick and rest assured. Apparently the gauge only measures a quart from top to bottom anyway but I may be wrong. On my current and previous 964 the gauge was very sensitive to the type of driving I did. Watch how it reacts and get to know its idiosyncracies - it will soon be a friend
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, the stick reads 1.75 liters and the gauge reads 1.25 liters.

There does seem to be a noticeable difference in the gauge reading depending upon the temperature.

Oil Gauge and Stick Ranges
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
ish3
Advanced

Where the h3ll are the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

some dark, fuzzy pictures that doesnt show how beautiful the paint shines

Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Wow... look at how clean the wheel wells are!

I love that interior colour. Nice car!!!

Quick Reply: after 500 miles each way, my 964 is finally home! initial thoughts..