Sponsored by:

Engine Lid Will Not Open

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Something else I found strange was my 93 was also missing the clip that seems to hold the wire in place, circled here on my 94 and also seen on the RSA in the link above. I am wondering if anyone else missing the wire is also missing the clip?
I went out an popped off the tail light and I have the clip. Funny, they put a piece of tape over it. Cracks me up. All the holes are there, the clips are there, the screw to attach it to is there, but no wire. Maybe they were out of wires that day or something. They did take time to cover up the clip though. Oh well, easy enough to remedy.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: missing clips and cables

Hi guys

I assume most of you bought the cars used? Just a thought, but is it possible that someone in the past has had to service or repair and needed to remove lid, and never bothered to replace clips and/or cables on re-assembly? Just a thought....
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
Hi guys

I assume most of you bought the cars used? Just a thought, but is it possible that someone in the past has had to service or repair and needed to remove lid, and never bothered to replace clips and/or cables on re-assembly? Just a thought....
Valid thought, however;

the clip is spot welded and mine shows no sign of ever being there and the wire is not part of the lid. It just runs behind the reflector and through the grommet where the wire and vent hose goes.

I would think more likely than not they were removed. To some degree it is a theft issue. If the alarm does not work a thief can easily access your engine, although I doubt it would ever be an issue.

Jason,

I have tons of paperwork covering from 1978 to 1994, I know its in there somewhere. I will look for it and post it or if you like I can fax you a copy.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
deep_uv
RIP

I'd be more concerned about the front emergency release than the rear as far as theft goes. Seems like the front would have been removed if theft concern was the case. I see no evidence mine ever had one at the rear, that piece of tape had been there a long, long time. I don't understand why anyone would have placed tape over the clip in any case - didn't really serve any purpose except to hide it. It's fun seeing the eccentric differences between our cars though.

Steve
Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, now I'm going to have to go and pull my car apart tonight to see if I am clipped or clipless!!! The agony of not knowing is killing me and I'm pregnant with anticipation on what I will find
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
Thanks guys, now I'm going to have to go and pull my car apart tonight to see if I am clipped or clipless!!! The agony of not knowing is killing me and I'm pregnant with anticipation on what I will find

Luckily it's only one screw to find out.

Steve
Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Luckily it's only one screw to find out.

Steve
Just open the lid and look at the latch?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I'd be more concerned about the front emergency release than the rear as far as theft goes. Seems like the front would have been removed if theft concern was the case. I see no evidence mine ever had one at the rear, that piece of tape had been there a long, long time. I don't understand why anyone would have placed tape over the clip in any case - didn't really serve any purpose except to hide it. It's fun seeing the eccentric differences between our cars though.

Steve

In order to access the loop portion of the front you have to remove the wheel liner on the left of the car. It is a fair amount of effort to go through but better than the alternative. The rear can be seen by just looking into the engine compartment, you should easily see if the wire is present.

I could not find the TSB but only made it through 1/3 of the papers I have. I did find an interesting TSB that talks about panel marking which I have on my 94 but did not realize was not required on the earlier 964's. Apparently, it was required by law but not if the car was equipped with an alarm and central locking system. Since the speedsters did not have a central locking system it was required on all 94 964's. Interesting stuff but this will be saved for another thread.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"panel marking" ?
Please do spill the beans .
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
"panel marking" ?
Please do spill the beans .

Didn't want to get off topic. I will scan the document which is about 3 pages. It explains how stickers are used on all the key body panels in specific locations. These stickers are not removable otherwise they come apart so they cannot be reused. The obvious ones are on the inside door and rear quarter by the locking mechanism. Replacement panels come with different stickers in different locations.

Like I said I don't want to get too far off topic so I will try to scan the document and post FYI. Give me a day or 2 to get to it.

BTW this is only on the 94 MY cars apparently, and makes for a good way to determine if the car has original parts and paint.

Quick Reply: Engine Lid Will Not Open