Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we are again and three more months have passed. During that time, my flickering ABS warning light began its flickering again. Last weekend, I removed and cleaned the connections to the battery, including -- this time -- the red wire from the ABS unit to the positive battery terminal (I can't remember if I had cleaned it previously; IIRC, I only removed and cleaned the negative connections). I also removed and cleaned the multipin wiring connection to the ABS unit itself (I had NOT done that before). Also removed and inspected (again) the right side wheel speed sensors (they were clean). Pushed on the sensor connections to ensure everything was properly seated. Inspected the brown ground wire to the wheel speed sensors, which I had done before. This morning (first chance I had), I took the car out for a spirited 30-minute drive over both smooth and rough roads. No flickering light. I'll keep this thread updated should the flickering light occur again.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the abs woes too..... good stuff guys ill try some of the fixes.. My light comes on as soon as u start then stays on.. errrr
Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM
rarebear
Racer

although this is an old thread, I have the ABS woes now (my car is a C2 1990 with 280 km on the odo)
after contact and starting the engine, all red lights go out, but once I drive, the ABS light pops on and the audible alarm too. Checked all connections , battery voltage etc etc it still comes on and does not go out. Are there any more tricks , I suspect the pump, 26 years old ....its an expensive part

HELP !!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:42 PM
cajonfan
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi rarebear,
I have been working wth the abs interface and can offer you a little insight. The abs controller cas no way to sense that the motor actually turns, just that it has been given operating power. Lots of potential causes, (wires, contacts, the pump motor relay, grounding, etc.) But probably not the motor.
It doesn't help you today, but i have a test set in beta testing now that would sort this out, stay tuned.
Cheers, Michael
QUOTE=rarebear;12441139]although this is an old thread, I have the ABS woes now (my car is a C2 1990 with 280 km on the odo)
after contact and starting the engine, all red lights go out, but once I drive, the ABS light pops on and the audible alarm too. Checked all connections , battery voltage etc etc it still comes on and does not go out. Are there any more tricks , I suspect the pump, 26 years old ....its an expensive part

HELP !!!![/QUOTE]
Old 07-18-2015, 01:21 PM
rarebear
Racer

Thanks Michael !!!! I stay tuned....defcon2 !!!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Because the warning occurs after you start driving I suspect that something is not checking out during the self test that happens @ ~6kph. A bad or dirty wheel speed sensor can cause that.

Here are a couple of posts that list some items you might check. My issue is different than yours but the checklist is still worth going through. I now have one of Cajonfan's prototype testers and hope it will help me properly diagnose my issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-light-c2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l-stumped.html

Quick Reply: ABS Woes