Sponsored by:

Motronic Chip Testing - Update 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Motronic Chip Testing - Update 1

I wanted to give you an update on where we stand with the chip testing exercise. To date, I have 16 chip images to test, including the standard C2 file. I have rejected one chip image because it runs so much timing that even an engine running race fuel will have the timing pulled due to knock. It has 10 degrees more timing than a normal performance chip and that isn't normal. These chip images include Euro RS, USA Cup car, and Euro Cup Car.

I have just received word that a ROM emulator will ship in the next week. A ROM emulator is a device that "emulates" a chip image. It allows the image to be changed via software and not by swapping chips. This emulator can store 9 chip images at a time so switching between the chips is simple. The other issue has been that my laptop only has a USB port and most chip devices still use a serial port for communications. This particular ROM emulator uses USB for communications which will make things easier for me. I have a low tolerance for USB-Serial devices which don't always work reliably, especially with devices that want to do harware interrupt level writing.

I have just finished one of my two major winter projects which was a 996GT3R with twin turbos and drive-by-wire with MoTeC and will be able to refocus on my car. Saturday I will be redynoing the racecar with open exhaust (I'll post on that later) and then I can remove the engine out of the street car. I need to adjust the valves and send the fuel injectors out to be flow tested, cleaned, and balanced. I also want to check the clutch which seems soft to me, but may just be the way it is. I twas replaced 20k ago so it should be good. If not, I will refit the car with a LWF unless anyone thinks that would skew the results. I want to adjust the valves, replace the O2 sensor, replace some o-rings and make sure it isn't leaking anywhere. I'm also going to install a second O2 sensor boss in the cat which will allow proper reading and logging while on the dyno. I have a MoTeC PLM which I'll put in the car which will allow wideband reading and will get a good idea of how the car was programmed from the factory.

From there, I'll fit the 9M MoTeC kit and run it through NYC emissions testing with programming for 93 octane USA fuel.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Geoffrey I have a PC laptop w. serial port that I only use to work on my cars (VAG-COM and the Porsche diag software). You're more than welcome to borrow it if that will make the tests easier.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which chip had the 10 degree's plus timing?
seems weird (mine maybe?)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Rob, it wasn't your chip. I spoke at length with the owner and I'll let him comment.

Quick Reply: Motronic Chip Testing - Update 1