Sponsored by:

H&R Coil Over Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
911skb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Coil Over Suspension Questions

Is there anyone running the H&R Coilover suspension? Not the H&R Sport springs, but their actual coilover setup.

Pelican sells them here, all the way down at the bottom of the page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

There is additional info here as well, near the bottom of the page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ce/HR_info.htm

Any comparisons to PSS9's, good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by 911skb
Is there anyone running the H&R Coilover suspension? Not the H&R Sport springs, but their actual coilover setup.

Pelican sells them here, all the way down at the bottom of the page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

There is additional info here as well, near the bottom of the page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ce/HR_info.htm

Any comparisons to PSS9's, good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.
Suspension adjustments are very subjective and what you might like someone else might hate.

I know Y65mph over on the turbo board uses these and his opinion was they were much better than the PSS9's.

I for one have driven a few cars with the PSS9's and did not like them and found the standard HD bilsteins with the turbo (red) H&R springs to be a better setup. The PSS9's remind me of the Pro set Eibach springs I have on the C2. Very soft until you push them really hard and then they start doing what you want.

This also depends on what you plan on doing with this car. If you plan on doing a lot of track time I hear the JIC/cross is far superior to both and a great bargain although a bit harsh for the street.

Good Luck
Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
911skb
Instructor

Anthony,
Thanks for the response and your opinion on the PSS9's compared to Bilstein HD's & HR Turbo springs.

I wil really only do a handful of DE's this year. The car will primarily be street use, club drives, "unofficial" get together drives.

One big issue I have is keeping the cost down. There is an argument for just spending once on a good coil-over setup, but can't really see spending that much.

Any other comments, opinions? Specifically highlighting the differences of PSS9, H&R Coilovers, and BilsteingHD w/ H&R Sport or Turbo springs?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Flagg
Racer

I have the H&R Coilovers on my RSA. I love the way the car handles now, on the street, autocross, and track. I made the investment when my stock springs and shocks were shot.

I must say I did not do a huge amoung of comparison. My local shop (Turbo Proformance Center) highly recommended this set up. They activly run in big race series..........and I went with their sugestion.

All I can say is that I love my set up.............Flagg
Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Flagg
I have the H&R Coilovers on my RSA. I love the way the car handles now, on the street, autocross, and track. I made the investment when my stock springs and shocks were shot.

I must say I did not do a huge amoung of comparison. My local shop (Turbo Proformance Center) highly recommended this set up. They activly run in big race series..........and I went with their sugestion.

All I can say is that I love my set up.............Flagg
Is the right height and/or stiffness adjustable? What are the spring rates?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

My shop told me to stay away from them due to the shock valving being way off and told me to go with H&R/Eibach springs and HD/Sport Bilsteins for a lot less $$.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The H&R Coilover spring rates are 250-285 front and 265-285 rear.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the JIC Cross coilovers on my 993 and was very happy. 15 adjustment shocks are valved to handle springs up to 1000lbs, so no need to re-valve if you change springs later, and springs are only $80 each (retail price). You can order them with the spring rates you like, and they are about $1000 less than the H&R coilovers and have more adjustability. I used 600/800 lb springs and found the street ride to be fine, as did many others, including the person who bought the car in December. Two years ago there were no JIC-Cross dealers in our area. Now all of the major Porsche independent shops are dealers and many Club Racers are using them.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
911skb
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to go a full coil-over route, but just can't justify the cost right now. Will probably go Bilstein HD's with H&R Sport or Turbo springs.

Is there a difference in ride height and stiffness between the Sport and Turbo springs?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
I put the JIC Cross coilovers on my 993 and was very happy. 15 adjustment shocks are valved to handle springs up to 1000lbs, so no need to re-valve if you change springs later, and springs are only $80 each (retail price). You can order them with the spring rates you like, and they are about $1000 less than the H&R coilovers and have more adjustability. I used 600/800 lb springs and found the street ride to be fine, as did many others, including the person who bought the car in December. Two years ago there were no JIC-Cross dealers in our area. Now all of the major Porsche independent shops are dealers and many Club Racers are using them.
As far as the price, at Pelican the Cross setup is $2980 and the H&R $1937.
The reason I've avoided the Bilstein/H&R setup is that another RLer using it told me he had significant rubbing issues at the track at RS ride height with the same wheels as I have. I figured that for track use I'd need something stiffer and adjustable.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check Tirerack for the H&R coilover setup - they have the best price I've found.

Perhaps the H&R Turbo (red) springs and Bilstein setup is worth considering but I have a question, it that setup ride height adjustable? The H&R's are. I spoke to someone at H&R and was told that theie struct/shocks are valved to work well with the springs but I've not found anyone who has tried them.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,258 Posts

I pulled this from another thread hope it helps:

89-91 Stock 158/189
92-94 Stock 169/189
91-94 Option M030 169/263 (progressive rear, working rate)
93-94 RS America 169/263 (progressive rear, working rate)
91-92 Turbo 3.3 169/263 (progressive rear, working rate)
1992 Carrera RS (European) 247/440 (progressive front and rear, working rate)
1992 Carrera Cup USA 247/440 (progressive front and rear, working rate)

Progressive Fronts and Rears, static and working rates
H&R Green F-190/255 R-220/265
H&R Red F-250/275 R-270/295

I have the Eibach Pros/HD in my C2 and to be honest the progressive setting feels softer than the H&R's and the working rate feels stiffer. Do not know the actual rates. I am adding TRG sways on the 964 and I have the 22mm rear Motorsport sway on the turbo will be adding the 25mm AJUSA front bar and drop links soon. Should round everything out perfectly on both cars.

I have talked to many people that are using the Cross suspension for DE use and they all seem to love it. I would not use them for street driving because I think the monoballs will transfer too much noise for street use and I don't need the extra negative camber. I have also been told the cross stuff is great but you need to double check the components before installing it. For the price it is a bargain and sounds much better than the Bilstein or H&R kits.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
As far as the price, at Pelican the Cross setup is $2980 and the H&R $1937.
That is an apples and oranges comparison. H&R makes three different "coil-over" suspension kits, which they refer to as "street", "PCS" and "RSS". The $1937 (suggested retail $2200) price is for the "Street" kit, which they suggest for the street and very occasional track driving. The kit that is comparable with the JIC Cross kit is the RSS kit, which has a suggested retail price of $3980.

If you are just looking to install a street kit (not adjustable), I would go with the H&R springs and Bilstein HDs.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
That is an apples and oranges comparison. H&R makes three different "coil-over" suspension kits, which they refer to as "street", "PCS" and "RSS". The $1937 (suggested retail $2200) price is for the "Street" kit, which they suggest for the street and very occasional track driving. The kit that is comparable with the JIC Cross kit is the RSS kit, which has a suggested retail price of $3980.

If you are just looking to install a street kit (not adjustable), I would go with the H&R springs and Bilstein HDs.
Is the adjustability so you can make it soft for the drive to the track and then firm it up when you get there or do people change the settings based on what track they're driving? Is it the stiffness, ride height, or both that's adjustable with the Cross kit? It sounds like the way to go.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure most people really understand how to properly adjust the dampening on adjustable dampers to get the suspension optimal. It has been my observation that people with adjustable dampers leave the adjustments in one single setting. Compression and rebound can help adjust the suspension frequencies, roll rates, as well as understeer and oversteer characteristics AT DIFFERENT POINTS in braking, AND through a corner. Yes, an softer position may allow the suspension to be less jarring, but is it properly controlling the springs? Different driving will require different settings ie bumpy road vs smooth road.

BTW, the HR coilover kit is $1799 through Performance Products. Gert also sells them and has a version with a wider height adjustment for comparable prices.

Quick Reply: H&R Coil Over Suspension Questions