H&R Coil Over Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Is the adjustability so you can make it soft for the drive to the track and then firm it up when you get there or do people change the settings based on what track they're driving? Is it the stiffness, ride height, or both that's adjustable with the Cross kit? It sounds like the way to go.
I used it to fine tune the handling to suit my driving style, which was settings such that the car was close to neutral with a bit of oversteer. The shocks and sways were used to dial it in. I never changed the shocks for street driving, and it was fine, with many people surprised at the street ride. The stiffness and ride height are fully adjustable.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
BTW, the HR coilover kit is $1799 through Performance Products. Gert also sells them and has a version with a wider height adjustment for comparable prices.
The spring rates for the coilover kit are essentially the same as the H&R reds so what do you get with the coilover kit that you don't get with the Bilstein shocks/H&R springs combo?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A fully threaded body??? and with the Turbo, stiffer springs compared to the springs alone.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,310 Posts

It depends on the system you buy. The standard system does not seam to be different than the Bilstein setup. They go up from there and the complete coil over with camber plates is up in price range.

This is what they say about the H&R cup Coil Over: (bottom picture)

H&R Porsche Super Cup Racing Suspension - Porsche 911/964 C2, C4 Coupe 1989-1994. Porsche Super Cup Racing Suspension, is designed for the committed motorsport enthusiast who is willing to relinquish some ride comfort in return for ultimate handling performance. The firmest coil-over in the H&R street line, it is the choice for track and club sport events.
Equally at home on street or track, H&R coil-overs provide enhanced performance, improved corner-holding ability and a sleek, aggressive stance-without the bone-jarring ride of some less-advanced suspension systems. All H&R coil-overs are hand-assembled in Germany to rigid ISO 9001 and German TUV standards.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
A fully threaded body??? and with the Turbo, stiffer springs compared to the springs alone.
Sorry, novice here, what's the advantage of the threaded body? Also Geoffrey, where does one get the Porsche Sport book you mentioned in the Total 911 piece?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You have more adjustment of the ride height with fully threaded shock bodies. The Porsche Sport books can often be found on ebay, especially the older ones. They became annual in 1993. www.motolit.com has recent ones as do some other motorsport book suppliers.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM
911skb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flagg,
Do you know which H&R Coilover kit you purchased? There are about three models they sell, as others have mentioned. Apparently, the most street friendly set is around $1800 list or so.

Originally Posted by Flagg
I have the H&R Coilovers on my RSA. I love the way the car handles now, on the street, autocross, and track. I made the investment when my stock springs and shocks were shot.

I must say I did not do a huge amoung of comparison. My local shop (Turbo Proformance Center) highly recommended this set up. They activly run in big race series..........and I went with their sugestion.

All I can say is that I love my set up.............Flagg
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
911skb
Instructor

So, does anyone have experience with the H&R Coilover - Street version?

How's the quality, adjustability, durability, etc?

Here's a link to the model:
http://www.optionimports.com/29580-2-946.html

My "new-to-me" 17" Turbo Twists from Marty in CO arrived today and now I am really anxious to get things going!

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911skb

My "new-to-me" 17" Turbo Twists from Marty in CO arrived today and now I am really anxious to get things going!

Thanks!
Is this the setup that Geoffrey quoted the spring rates for earlier in this thread? From the description it looks like only the ride height is adjustable.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I have HD's with Eibach springs and for the street it is a little harsh. The Eibachs I have are not progressive. For the track only it would be fine. The Ruf 964 Evo C4 discussed on another thread recently got the H&R reds to replace track springs and after riding in it, it is a more compliant street ride but still gets around corners well enough for DE's IMHO. I am planning on switching since I do not track my car very much.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

That is the same H&R coilover kit I referenced above. It has no adjustment other than limited height adjustment for corner balancing the car. Gert has the same kit and for an additional $100 he has the capability to provide additional range of adjusment.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
911skb
Instructor

Doesn't sound like the H&R Street coilovers are worth the $ then. I'll save my pennies for a PSS9 or Cross setup in the future then.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Just ordered some bilsteins from Gert at Carnewal and i must say his service and price are second to none.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911skb

Thanks!
I ran the street H+R coilovers for a couple of years and did a fair number of trackdays with them. They were a huge improvement over the stock suspension on track, like night and day, but were still usuable on the crap UK roads. I guess they're pretty well built because I sold them on via the garage that fitted them originaly when I upgrade as they were pretty much perfect condition at that time. The only problem I had was with rubbing issues at the track at RS ride height which eventually was blamed on the coilovers being a bit soft for spirited driving on soft compound tyres.
Incidentaly I upgraded to H+R supercups which are not a simple bolt on fit for a '90 C2 and IMO are far too stiff for road use but are a great track set up, well for me anyway.

Quick Reply: H&R Coil Over Suspension Questions