Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to delete the passanger airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Question How to delete the passanger airbag?

Hi,

The driver airbag is already gone since a few years back, I now I'm thinking of deleting the passanger side aswell. I'm looking for weight and passangeras are very rare, and if anything would happen the full role cage hopefully will help.

What is the correct way to take out the airbag system (control unit and pass-airbag) after that the battery has been disconnected for at least an hour?
Is there any step-by-step or is it just a question disconneting the parts?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to do a search on the 993 board and the turbo boards...as I know I've seen this before. From guys who want to put their kids in front seat. I also believe that porsche actually makes a part for this, but it only disables the bag, its not for removal. Be interested to see what you come up w/as I'd like to disable my airbag as well....so I can take my kids in the car.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

What I did in my car was use part #92861222000, which is the same cut off they use in the cup cars. You get access to the airbag ecu in the center console, disconnect the harness from the aibag ecu and plug in the bypass. Shuts all the lights down, disables the airbags, and is totally reversable. I did that because I have a non-airbag wheel in a 1991. Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
DLook (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove the airbag you have to remove the knee protector under dash. This inivolves the following (in order pretty much)

I am assuming the airbags are already jumpered so that they are deactive. I do not condone or recomend deactivating safety systems in street cars, etc. YMMV

**** Disconnect battery for 20-30 minutes before touching airbags******
1. Remove glove box (possible to skip this howver there are lights and other connectors wired up here that can catch when you drop the under dash)
2. remove ashtray (all of it to access the bolts behind the ashtray)
3. remove center console upper and lower - this needs to come out to allow the dash to come down.
4. remove side cover peices on dash (plastic covers w/ 1 screw) to access end bolts
5. remove center bolts (10mm) behind ashtray
6 revome side bolts (10mm) - the dash should be free at this point - double check for any wiring connections that might foul it
7. remove lower dash panel and set aside
8 remove bolts/screws (3) holding airbag to dash cover panel (this panel is in 2 peices)
9 remove bolts screws holding upper dash cover panel in place
10. remove airbag wires (2)
11. remove bolts holding top of airbag to chassis (3)
12. remove airbag and store or dispose of correctly
13. reassemble - using nuts and bolts to secure dash cover panel on bottom (it threads into the airbag so you have to replace that with something)

you can remove the airbag ECU as well (center console) - but i left it in to simplify things if i ever wanted to return it to stock. it has minimal weight.

hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:02 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Thanks Rob, that was a good step-by-step instruction! That was exactly what I was looking for:-)
I already have a bridge-resistor for the driver side and I mostly use the car on track with race seats and 6-p belts, thats why I want to take them out to save weight.

Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
David K.
Pro

To Disable airbags and turn off airbag warning lights on a Porsche '90-94 911 (964):

DISCLAIMER:

A factory air bag is a safety device and no manufacturer, retailer orthe author can condone or recommend removal or disabling of such a device on a street driven car.

The decision to remove/Disable and the actual removal/Disabling of the factory air bag is the sole responsibility of the car owner so the
author take NO responsibility for any damages that may occur as a result of the car owners decision. If you have a factory air bag and are willing to accept responsibility for removing it because the vehicle is used only for show, racing or other off-road use, then us the instructions below:

To Disable airbags and turn off airbag warning lights on a Porsche '90-94 911 (964):

Disconnect Battery for ~1 hr to let airbag system capacitors discharge before starting.

Open panel on right side of center console under dashboard.

Remove metal bracket which supports airbag wire harness (one bolt).

Turn over bracket and you will see the black flat connector held in place with a orange plastic clip.

Remove clip.

Unplug black connector, this will disable the whole airbag system.

To turn off airbag warning lights, jump pins 3 to 4 on female side of connector with a short piece of wire.(Note: pin 3 wire color is Black-Brown, pin 4 wire color is Black-Red)
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Thanks for the info David, but I'm not interested in just turning the system of, I've already done that. I want to get rid of the weight.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
David K.
Pro

This will put out the warning lights after you remove the airbags.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Aha that's what you ment. But I probably take out the control unit to if the airbag goes, so the warning light should be dead anyway.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

that might actually ignight a few more - let us know what happens when you remove the contol unit
Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Herbie
Instructor

I'm also interested into deactivate airbags on my dual-airbag 964.

David K:, why the jump between 3 and 4 pins should deactivate the airbag warning light?

Thx,

Herbie

Last edited by Herbie; 07-30-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey all: How much do these parts actually weigh once you get them removed?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Well, I've just done it!

I answer to myself: pin 3 and 4 shall be connected together only to allow engine starting.

They act on one half of the DME relay, and their function is to allow the airbag control unit to switch off, in case of serious airbag damaging, the engine.

Thank you David for your procedure!

P.S. I connected pin 3 ad 4 with a faston, so I can restore original airbag system.

P.S. 2: airbag warning light is off.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garrett: IIRC the passenger air bag was 5-7ish pounds. I also removed the lower dash and have the Rennline replacement in my car. Saves a bit of weight too.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i will weigh mine when i get back - but i think 5lbs is a safe # for the pass side one.
the lower dash is 8lbs (ish) i will weigh that as well when the 89' lower dash peices come in as well so i can replace it

Quick Reply: How to delete the passanger airbag?