Sponsored by:

Guards Red Paint Restoration on 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guards Red Paint Restoration on 1990 C4

The red paint on my '90 C4 cab has slightly faded and has got a slight weather 'bloom'. What is the best way to restore the paint finish?

I had considered using a product like T Cut to take surface film off - but I am reluctant to use this as it seems very severe in its action.

Would a good wax alone - like Blitz, Zymol or Meguires be sufficient? I doubt it. I think I need to restore the paint surface first then apply a good wax to maintain it.

I am sure listers will have faced this problem and I should appreciate advice on this.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need an abrasive product to removed the oxidized paint. I would try 3M Perfect-It III with an orbital buffer (porter cable makes one). It is unlikely that you'd damage anything unless you were extremely careless. I'd follow that with Meguiars polish, then a top coat of wax.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I've read on this site that wet sanding will do wonders to restore color luster. Try searching the forum.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you searched the Rennlist concours forum? I'm sure they would have opinions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/

Personnally, I use 3M's Hand Glaze to remove minor oxidation and use their PerfectIt when I need to be more agressive. I then top it off with The Wax Shop's SuperGlaze. No affiliation with either vendors.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autoglym also have an equivalent of t-cut which I have used on my (white) car. But - you need to be careful with it - I have an area on my spoiler now that is lacking paint.....
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Dave- what did you use to apply the product? Most dual-action or random orbit tools won't do that unless you forget what you're doing. My GriotGarage buffer is fantastic on the Porsche paint and gives it a great finish. Does wonders on oxidization too with the right product. I'm using Griot's line for now; until I find something I like better.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are talking about just oxidation, I don't think you'll need to wet sand it.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask around, find a detailer that people have had good experiences with, and take it there and let them look at it. What you need is something fairly aggressive using a good 'ol rotary in the hands of a skilled operator. That's what was done with mine, and it brought it back to 'red' from 'orange'.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

DO NOT WET SAND YOUR CAR! The 90 model does not have a clear coat and you could easily end up into the metal...quickly! I know from experience on another car that an idiot got hold of.

You need a random orbital buffer like the one Griots sells. Then any mild polish like the 3M mentioned or Meguiars #2. Take your time and do a section at a time. Once complete use a good wax or my fovorite Rejexs available on line or at aircraft supply houses.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by hawk911
Dave- what did you use to apply the product? Most dual-action or random orbit tools won't do that unless you forget what you're doing. My GriotGarage buffer is fantastic on the Porsche paint and gives it a great finish. Does wonders on oxidization too with the right product. I'm using Griot's line for now; until I find something I like better.
I just used a cloth - and didn't even rub that hard for very long.

Although - from memory - I suspect the bottle might say "not for use on plastics". Never really thought they meant it though......
Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Start soft. Red and white solid colours are the softest among all colours. Start with a polish (ie Autoglym) and then a top-wax without any polish. Avoid circles and work with a fender or a door at a time. Do not start of with too hard polish or rubbing.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Get a Porter Cable 7424 - the Detailer's Friend. A heavy-duty unit that works wonders, and virtually impossible to do damage with, even in the paws of a squirrel like me. Not cheap but high-quality. Amazon had the best price when I bought mine.

http://www.autogeek.net/pocapobu.html
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Get a Porter Cable 7424 - the Detailer's Friend. A heavy-duty unit that works wonders, and virtually impossible to do damage with, even in the paws of a squirrel like me. Not cheap but high-quality. Amazon had the best price when I bought mine.

http://www.autogeek.net/pocapobu.html
+1
and I think Detailed Image had the best price as a package when I bought mine. No affil. and shop around 'cause things change.
http://www.detailedimage.com/store/p...roducts_id=406
Old 01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkD
+1
and I think Detailed Image had the best price as a package when I bought mine. No affil. and shop around 'cause things change.
http://www.detailedimage.com/store/p...roducts_id=406
Resounding "yes", get a package because you can never have too many pads of various types.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I would be very careful ! Guards Red is notorious in the paint business for fading , going pink etc.
I had a wonder paint treatment done that hastened the pink effect.Sorry but I cannot remember which one.
Annual buffing for the Le Mans trip worked for a few years but in the end a respray in modern paint was the solution.
All part of ownership experience !!

Geoff

Quick Reply: Guards Red Paint Restoration on 1990 C4