Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed new stereo...now have warning lights!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 AM
bigchillcar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation installed new stereo...now have warning lights!

i didn't read in the installation package until after the fact that the negative terminal needs to be disconnected for the new stereo install!

the prior stereo was marvel of early 90's engineering and determination..it took my brother and i about 9 hours to do the job..about half of it was removing the old amp, crossover box and whatever other unidentifiable things which included at one time front and rear radar detectors and a phone system with a mic button on the steering wheel. amazing amount of wire..will be posting all of it in another thread pronto. i bet the car lost 20 lbs. of stereo gear and wires!

the new blaupunkt bermuda looks great and sounds great, but...

my seat belt warning light, convertible light and my airbag lights are all on and stay lit. the seat belt and airbag lights are supposed to extinguish after about 5-6 seconds..not sure why the top light is lit?? we had the top down for the installation just for convenience.

what to do now? does it need the bosch hammer? we tried disconnecting the negative cable for 5 minutes and hooking back up, but no go. need help!!!
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchillcar
i didn't read in the installation package until after the fact that the negative terminal needs to be disconnected for the new stereo install!
...my seat belt warning light, convertible light and my airbag lights are all on and stay lit.
Did you remove the steering wheel? Did you touch the clock or any wiring connected to it? Was the ignition turned on with the clock removed? Did you remove the "gong" relay under the dashboard to the left of the steering column? The seatbelt and airbag warning lamps are the two clock warnings that aren't connected to the central informer and both will illuminate if there is a problem that causes the airbag warning to light up. Do all the warning lights in the clock illuminate when you turn the ignition to the start position?

what to do now?
Do you own a soldering iron? Do you own a multimeter? If at all possible I would try to read the fault code stored in the airbag controller but there is a really good chance (barring any of the above) that you will have to resolder the clock PCB

does it need the bosch hammer?
After you fix the problem you will need a Bosch Hammer or Doug Boyce's PC software to reset the airbag controller and turn the warning lamp off. The airbag faults are stored in non-volatile memory so disconnecting the battery won't help.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

just afraid that i may have cut something...someone from the previous stereo install could have cut into one of these systmes for power and when i removed it, might have removed part of a system's wiring. damn. i have a shop that would check the fault codes for $75 and stop there until i tell them what i want to do. damn.
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:04 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where are you located? possibly someone near you might have the scan tool software and can also check the codes for free!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

god, jim...i'm in...arkansas..lol.
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

i've read the threads and posts about the 'cold solder', etc. i had no problems with warning lights until i did this stereo install, so it must be related. either i screwed up by not disconnecting the negative terminal as the instructions (read after the fact indicate - had a page talking about the airbag system, possible complications, etc.)...or i cut something important removing all the old stereo stuff. had to completely lose the original factory wiring harness for the radio..it was already butchered.
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Somebody maybe Smokin? had a Scantool that he was mailing around for people to use. With it you can easly read the codes and reset the lights. Maybe they wont come back on. Try to PM him
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

the member's name is 'smokin'? i will try to contact. thanks! i called crutchfield, the radio supplier and their technical support guy..he was clueless..acted like he'd never heard of a warning light problem. i told him that their installation guide has a whole page devoted to it. "oh.." really helpful..lol.
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I know there are some plug and play scan tools floating around, and you may be near one. If you are near Bloomington, IN, I can help you out. Good luck.

Sorry, saw you are in arkansas. A little long for a drive.

Last edited by DAVISRILEY; 01-25-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Missed post
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/305825-rennlist-diagnostic-interface-loaner-thread.html
Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

jim, thanks for the link!

if i didn't mention it earlier, i've already gotten rid of the convertible top warning light by cycling it up and down. and i understand that the seat belt warning light comes on automatically when the airbag light is tripped.. i still say it's like the stereo instructions alluded to..something to do with not disconnecting my negative ground for the stereo install. i'll check the link jim sent me later tonight when i get back from the gym. thanks for all help! i'm new on rennlist, but have over 6,400 posts on pelican's porsche forum..so not a p-car newbie, just a rennlist newbie..
ryan
Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

you will find a lot of help here! If you can get ahold of Ricks loaner PM me and I can loan you mine.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimq
...I can loan you mine.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

wow! you guys are great! just like all my friends i've made in over 5 years on pelican. i have a '74 that i've had a very long time that i'm getting ready to sell now that i understand everything i need to know about a middie! moving into the 964 is unchartered waters and there's less 964 support on pelican..most of the other veteran pelican with 964's recommended i join up over here and begon contributing to rennlist. me and two other guys started a middie club online back in the summer at mid9.net. last check i think we have in the neighborhood of 150 members.

jim, you're in florida i think? i used to live for years in miami, st. augustine and st. pete. so you have a loaner of these devices? they not only clear the airbag/seat belt warning lights, but reset the functionality as well?
best,
ryan
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

so you have a loaner of these devices? they not only clear the airbag/seat belt warning lights, but reset the functionality as well?
best,
ryan
I dont really have a loaner one but I will let you borrow mine if you cant get the one Rick was passing around. People on here have given me freebees so it my way of payback. It will clear alot of codes including the airbag light. By the way I am in the Orlando area.

Quick Reply: installed new stereo...now have warning lights!