Sponsored by:

Targa Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa Hardtop

I have a Targa Hardtop that uses and includes an original (OEM) magnesium Frame, Roller Locks, Rain Gutters, and a set of new original upper window seals. It is ready for your choice of body color paint or vinyl covering. The item is on ebay and I will offer $100 off the final price to anyone who is a regular on the Rennlist Forum and $200 off any Rennlist Member in good standing prior to the posting. It will be deducted after the sale by contacting me with a PM from this site.

Ebay item number: 110082556193

It can also be found in the Rennlist Forum Classifieds under Targa Hardtop.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think the idea behind the Targa top is so it can be folded up and thrown in the trunk. Unless im mistaken it doent look like it does.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, with all do respect, I believe you missed the idea here. The Targa is a great top but the reality is that the Targa top is not impervious to age or someone breaking in the car to gain access to you personnel belongings. I had a friend loose some valuables as well as the cost to repair the Targa top because some knifed through the top and opened the door. I contend that the replacements are never as good as the originals. When the car sits outside the vinyl will crack and that is the point where the rain water enters the inside of the car. The beauty of this hardtop is if you plan your trips and only carry the folding top when intend to go topless. Should you encounter some weather, install the folding Targa top and continue. Otherwise keep the hardtop on the car. This is no different than the boxster hardtop, or the corvette, or a few others. Porsche made some hardtops for the Targas in the early years and I have heard that there were some made for the 964, although I have never seen one. This top does not fold and is offered as an addition to your vehicle, an extra top that would give you more versatility.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Extremley good idea, but unfortunately its way way too expensive and have to have it sprayed as well, otherwise i would have one, i guess i will have to hide my belongings and buy a cheaper backup Targa top for mine.
Luckely for me a relative of mine is a classic car upholsterer.

Hope you sale goes ok, i like it.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:23 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Originally Posted by porschedude996TT
Jeff, with all do respect, I believe you missed the idea here. The Targa is a great top but the reality is that the Targa top is not impervious to age or someone breaking in the car to gain access to you personnel belongings. .... This is no different than the boxster hardtop, or the corvette, or a few others. Porsche made some hardtops for the Targas in the early years and I have heard that there were some made for the 964, although I have never seen one. This top does not fold and is offered as an addition to your vehicle, an extra top that would give you more versatility.
Mmm- I must be extremely ****. I do not drive to public car parks, and rarely park in the street. I see the point, but its bad enough coping with negligent other road users opening doors, rampant scratch marks from pepole who think its a good idea to damage property etc. I tend to drive to places where these risks are minimilased ie my office car park, the golf club, country trips to friends houses where parking off street is ok...In other words when the Pcar leaves home, I spend more time in it than out of it, and when I am out of it its usually at minimal risk.But then to me the car is a luxury I indulge myself with. I am not sure I would have as a daily driver everywhere, although I am sure plenty do.

I use the family truckster for anything that runs a risk of coming into contact with the public when I am not in the car.

The 997 targa 4S looks like the true answer for the top issue, but won't solve the vandalism issues.

Quick Reply: Targa Hardtop