Sponsored by:

Warning lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Founder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning lights flashing

I'm a newbie so I don't know if this topic has been discussed and I haven't searched the prior topics. So, here's my problem.

I have a 1992 911 C2. About a year ago my warning lights would flash on occasion and then ultimately stay on, along with the warning buzzer. The problem was diagnosed as arcing of the ignition coils which caused the problem. I had them replaced and the problem went away. Now it's a year and 5,000 miles later and the problem has returned. The only difference this time is that twice the engine has hesitated/stalled, when first driven in the morning of at night after work, followed by the various warning lights coming on (gas, oil, belts, parking brake, etc.).

Has anyone encountered this problem. If so, please help.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on 'Christmas tree' (very apt for the time of year). No I'm serious ! A well documented phenomenon
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Founder
6th Gear

Thanks. I just found one thread of the "Christmas Tree Lights" and I will look for more.

Ed
Old 12-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Founder
I'm a newbie so I don't know if this topic has been discussed and I haven't searched the prior topics. So, here's my problem.

I have a 1992 911 C2. About a year ago my warning lights would flash on occasion and then ultimately stay on, along with the warning buzzer. The problem was diagnosed as arcing of the ignition coils which caused the problem. I had them replaced and the problem went away. Now it's a year and 5,000 miles later and the problem has returned. The only difference this time is that twice the engine has hesitated/stalled, when first driven in the morning of at night after work, followed by the various warning lights coming on (gas, oil, belts, parking brake, etc.).

Has anyone encountered this problem. If so, please help.

Thanks,

Ed
I just had the same problems and it was the alternator. Use a voltimeter through the cigarette lighter to check the voltage... esp when the symptoms are showing! You'll find it will have dropped below 13V.
ANother sign it is the alternator is if the low battery light comes on solo.
Check the thread here:
Alternator problems
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Founder
6th Gear

I just got my car back from the shop. The mechanic who works on my car tried everything - distributor caps, rotors, wires, coils, ignition modules, engine harness grounds connections, etc. He finally found the problem with my car. It was the ECU relay that was failing.

I am again one with my car.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Founder
I just got my car back from the shop. The mechanic who works on my car tried everything - distributor caps, rotors, wires, coils, ignition modules, engine harness grounds connections, etc. He finally found the problem with my car. It was the ECU relay that was failing.

I am again one with my car.
sounds like he ran out of parts to replace
Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Founder
6th Gear

You are not far from the truth. Fortunately it ended up being a $35 part.

Quick Reply: Warning lights flashing