Sponsored by:

Seized lug nut

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Robert O. Dean
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized lug nut

Here I go with a common Porsche problem. I have a SIEZED ALLOY (ALUM) LUG Nut. I suspect its caused by the disimilar materials (alum on steel). Nonetheless, this situation is on my 93 RSA, left front Turbo cup wheel. All nuts came off easily except for the last one. So anticipating the challenge I sprayed with liguid wrench a number of times an let it soak for a week. Then I went back to it with the 19mm wrench, no go. The I applied a "cheater bar" to the wrench and then felt a little budge... too late it sheared the nut in half! Damit!
Well I asking for some garage tips on attempting to remove this remaining half nut. I have considered drilling the nut off (which I have done before on my 84 911 and vowed to only to use steel nuts in the future. My RSA is "new" and I was preparing to store it for the winter). Drilling is my last consideration, any ideas how to get this nut off. Has anyone used one of those "hammer on" emergency nut removers?
Frustrated!
Thanks
Rob
Old 11-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert... I have had friends use deep well sockets that are a size smaller, hammered on top of the nut, to remove what remains. I'm not sure what else you could do. Were the lug nuts torqued properly or were they tightened by some tire shop using an impact driver?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

I've had pretty good luck with Sears damaged nut tools. Not sure if it would fit inside the wheel opening. I was able to remove the differential fill plug on my Toyota truck that had rounded of with a six point socket. Yes, it was that tight. I was actually surprised when it came loose.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Robert,

I recently was replacing a clutch in a 93 Geo Prizm and mangled two bolt heads (14mm in size). I then purchased a set of Sears "Boltout" sockets. They worked really well (no affiliation) with my impact wrench. You may want to give them a try. Their largest set has a 19mm size socket.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Those are the ones. Sorry I didn't have the correct name, but I would give them a try. You can also buy half sets. That is , four of five of a smaller size and four or five of larger sizes. Might save a few bucks if you don't anticipate needing them.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Robert O. Dean
Intermediate

Default Siezed Lug Nut

Thanks all on the "Sears Damaged Nut Kit". I'll check it out and give it a try. Will report accordingly.

Regards,
Rob
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Delaney
Not sure if it would fit inside the wheel opening
I just tried the Sears remover #13 and it fits inside the bolt opening on the wheel and grabs on to the lugnut with no problems.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Were you successful getting the broken part of the lug nut out?

Steve
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Robert O. Dean
Intermediate

Update....
I purchased the Sears "boltout" kit, used a size#13 (19mm) on the siezed lug nut. Now remmmber I only have 1/2 of the nut remaining (crossectional) since it sheared in half when I initially attempted to remove it.
Well since I had sheared it in half that of course incates that the alloy is not all that hard. So when I put the boltout on the nut and applied some torque it just "bit into" and chewed up the remaining half.
It's now impossible to get anything on the remains to apply torque. Therefor I had to get 'DENTAL"! Got out some small drills and the Dremel tool with grinding bits. After about 4 hours and 2 weekends I was able to remove the remaining nut (drill/cut/grind away) with out any significant damage to the wheel or stud. As I mentioned earlier, its all steel nuts from this point on and of course, proper torquing.
Rob
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear you got the broken nut out. I purchased my '93 with two broken lug nuts. Porsche actually has a "preferred method" for removal. At least that is what my local Porsche dealer called it.

I purchased a 17mm hole saw from Starrett and put it in my hand drill. It slid neatly over the end of the stud and acted as a great guide. Taking my time, this method easily cut through the remaining piece of the aluminum nut. Since the nut is in tension, it easily "popped" when I completed the cut through it. Absolutely no damage to the wheel.

But anyway, glad to hear of your success.

Steve
Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
964rh
Pro

The 17mm hole saw way is the way I would deal with any future broken nuts on mine after the last one cost me £150 to sort. (Cause this was after I went at it like a maniac with the black and decker and put a hole in almost everything apart from the nut!!!!)

Rob
Old 12-13-2006, 04:28 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by Michael Delaney
I've had pretty good luck with Sears damaged nut tools. Not sure if it would fit inside the wheel opening. I was able to remove the differential fill plug on my Toyota truck that had rounded of with a six point socket. Yes, it was that tight. I was actually surprised when it came loose.

Quick Reply: Seized lug nut