Sponsored by:

964 or 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 993 is not a "far superior" drive. I've put about 55k miles on mine as a daily driver and it's great fun but not that much different from the 964 (when it was closer to stock).

Excellence magazine has price information on all Porsche models. It would be a reasonable guide to how much you should expect to pay. I don't have the latest info for 964s or 993s available, maybe one of the other folk do and will post it.

Whichever car you buy, get a pre-purchase inspection done by a good porsche shop.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by girlracer
I'm glad people are starting to defend the 964's looks! I actually LOVE how it looks, way more than the 993. (!) I love it's classic front, profile and I even prefer the interior. It's classic and understated. It's the little black dress of cars.
When I was looking two-plus years ago, I had the option to buy just about anything...the classic look of the 964 kept me in the fold. I honestly think my car is the best looking car ever.

And it's a TARGA
Old 11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug751
Hello Russ,

With all due respect, Spokane does not have summer heat nor winter cold / snow. Detroit or Chicago has 95F with 90% humidty for 3 months and also 4 months below freezing with slush and snow the whole time. You guys get a few 100 degree desert style dry days and a few frosts seperated by near perfect moderate weather. Your roads are basically smooth, and there is NO TRAFFIC.

BTW, it is beautiful there, I just bought a 964 in Seattle and drove it back to Detroit. I stopped in at the new Porsche Dealer in Idaho on Saturday to try to buy some winter tires, and they could not help me. I saw a meet of about 25 cars but did not have time to stick around and talk. I was stuck at Altons for 4 hours while they mounted some winter tires. Be careful there; they screwed up my jacking point on the front of the car since they did not know what they were doing even after I warned them. Anyhow, very nice town, nice weather, you are lucky and I would pobably use a C4 for my everyday car if I lived there as well. But in Detroit, forget about it. I have 12" deep ruts of rock hard frozen slush to deal with. The 993 or 964 is NOT suitable for the type of torture. Even if the car survives, you will be miserable. Not good for any Porsche.

-Doug
Doug, did you buy the 2K mi. one from Park Place? I see it's not in inventory anymore. Just curious...
Old 11-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Paul Morgan
When I was looking two-plus years ago, I had the option to buy just about anything...the classic look of the 964 kept me in the fold. I honestly think my car is the best looking car ever.

And it's a TARGA
Old 11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Bearclaw,

Yes, I bought the 2500 mile 1989 from Park Place and drove it home to Detroit over the weekend.

It is like a new car. In fact, so new that they never performed the 1st valve lash adjustment. They did swap out the rubber clutch, change the oil, update AC, but nothing else.

Previously I had a 1992 C2 that I bought with 40,000 miles on it. I had a shop inspect it, and when I drove it home I ended up paying a fortune to fix problems, leaks and hidden rear window seal rust. I wrecked that car in a crash and wanted a nice replacement. I looked at a few low mile cars but they were all so - so. This one from Park Place cost a fortune, but is perfect. I plan to keep it for many years, and to me it is a great deal. The sticker price for the car new was over 60,000 USD back in 1989! In todays money, that would be close to $100,000. A nice used 996 or Boxster would have cost more, and they do not feel or look as special to me. I also like the 964 better than the 993 from a looks and sound point of view.

Anyhow, I love it, glad I bought it and I am going to drive the hell out of it.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

That's great, it's good to it go to someone who will appreciate it. PP is pretty proud of their stuff, but in this case it's probably justified - how many like that can there be in existence?

Have fun, and take care of that thing - maybe find another one for the track???
Old 11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by girlracer
I'm glad people are starting to defend the 964's looks! I actually LOVE how it looks, way more than the 993. (!) I love it's classic front, profile and I even prefer the interior. It's classic and understated. It's the little black dress of cars. Granted, the back end isn't quite as curvaceous as the 993's, but if I want to stare at a nice *** I have a full-length mirror at home!

I just didn't want it's looks to sway my decision if the 993 was a far superior drive. Of course I need to drive both before I make a decision, but you guys have made me optimistic that a 964 will probably meet all of my needs.

If anybody sees a good 964 coupe for sale, please PM me.

Also, I wanted to say how amazed I have been at the response to both of my threads. You guys are great!
You've answered your own question! Enjoy the search. I'm always looking at the classifieds so I'll keep my eye out.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 PM
ish3
Advanced

I would search for the cleanest, low mile, example of each and see which comes up first.
If you really care about the resale value all you can really do is buy smart!
I bought my triple black 1990 C2 cabrio, 48,000miles 3-1/2 years ago for $23,000, although values haven't gone up, I'm sure I could get more $$ for it today then I paid.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2006, 02:49 PM
porsche fever
Intermediate

you can't go wrong with the 964 for several reasons: the sweet smell of oil when you run the heater because of oil leaks and the heater air is drawn from the engine compartment(solved in 993 by lowering the peak oil presure and drawing air for the heater from the outside), anything that gets in the oil filler pipe besides oil goes directly into the oil passages and can lead to engine failure(solved by 993 with second oil filter), the combination of 44lbs rear tire presure and the rear suspenions lets you really feel the road and it better be smooth(993 redesigned the real suspension and 17" uses 36lbs tire pressure) and probably the most important difference is the exhaust system as it weaves a path around the engine meeting in one tailpipe ensuring a little extra heat gets to all those important moving parts and also making so easy to tune up as the whole exhaust system has to be removed to get to the valves for adjustment(993 redesigned and simplified the system with two tailpipes and with hydraulic valves you don't even have to adjust them) in conclusion they are both great cars and one improved some shortfalls of the other.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Oracle
Pro

993 is too expensive for a weekend toy. 964 is basically the same car for a lot less.
If you think about it in a financial way you'll loose more money on the 993 because it hasn't bottomed yet. Also remember that more expensive cars have a smaller market and this will be a pain when you want to sell your more expensive 993.

The 993 will be crushed by the dropping prices of the 996...

As much as I love the butt of the 993 I can't justify it...

-Jasper
Old 12-25-2006, 03:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Oracle
993 is too expensive for a weekend toy. 964 is basically the same car for a lot less.
If you think about it in a financial way you'll loose more money on the 993 because it hasn't bottomed yet. Also remember that more expensive cars have a smaller market and this will be a pain when you want to sell your more expensive 993.

The 993 will be crushed by the dropping prices of the 996...

As much as I love the butt of the 993 I can't justify it...

-Jasper
I'm not convinced of this. I think 993 is a different market to 996 - and I actually think the fact that 996 prices are dropping so much and they are so common, makes the 993 more desirable to some people. Last of the classic air cooled and all that. I think the 993 is heading into the classic icon status and I think this will keep 993 prices fairly high for a while.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm not convinced of this. I think 993 is a different market to 996 - and I actually think the fact that 996 prices are dropping so much and they are so common, makes the 993 more desirable to some people. Last of the classic air cooled and all that. I think the 993 is heading into the classic icon status and I think this will keep 993 prices fairly high for a while.
You're right, different markets with different wallets "width"
Although its the last of the air cooled is not the classic shape and in my view it will be priced high for a while longer but wait until those cars have a few more years and they develop problems... they're showing that already with the alarm modules.

At some point will be priced above the 964 (understandably because its newer and arguably better) but not crazy high like prices are now...

Maybe the 964 will be the winner because its the last true classic look... maybe

-Jasper
Old 12-25-2006, 07:12 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
You're right, different markets with different wallets "width"
-Jasper
Hmmm I am not so sure about that! I prefere the 964 which i bought as the classic 911 look. I have the TT more for the performance then the looks and it wasnt much more then what some people are advertising for a 993C2S, which is not necessarly what the real world market off Rennlist is actually paying for them. It was a no brainer for me which 2 I picked however the mean look of the 996TT is quickly growing on me .
Old 12-25-2006, 07:56 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I really think it is a personal decision, and someone needs to drive each car for a while, and drive various years and mileages.

Depends on what you enjoy driving more, and your budget. They both will require maintenance, and both will break. Because the age of both cars, it is close which one will be more reliable. It really depends how it was treated and maintained for last 10 plus years. Personally, I find the 964 more of a less refined 911, better engine sound probably because of less sound proofing, the driver needs a little more focus, while the 993 is a bit more forgiving. That to many can be a plus. Overall, the 993 is an excellent car, and often the 964 is less appreciated as it was not the last air cooled model.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would get a 993 just because it is my favorite 911 model ever made. UNLESS your looking at a RS America and then I would get that. Just my $.02 however. It is a nice problem you have actually. Maybe I can have a problem like that someday!

Quick Reply: 964 or 993?