Front bumpers-lighten and modify-questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Anyone seen a good howto/DIY for actually removing the bumper bars to lighten the car? Is there a downside, like crash protection?
You will lose the front tow-hook, and if you tap anyone, the damage gets quite extensive without the bar in there. Besides, the bar is aluminum, and very light - maybe a couple of pounds.

I have both of mine for two reasons - to keep the tow hooks, and after one race I met a friend at a restaurant, and while leaving the mall, I got rear-ended by a kid in an Integra. If I didn't have the bumper bar, I'd have a broken bumper instead of a small paint scratch...
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"the front end roll center drops, and the front end grip becomes unpredictable. "

That happens when the front roll center goes undeground and it makes the car feel top heavy.

If you look at my car, it sits with 1.5 degrees of rake, but the car is not as low as say Larry's so my roll centers are still proper. This also puts some additional weight bias on the front tires where it is needed. It was a compromise I made when setting the car up, roll center vs height. A side benefit is that the car will roll over the lift in my garage and onto my trailer without removing the front spoiler.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Garrett,
I hear the euro bumper pods are lighter, do you know if they are any less effective for your scenario?

Originally Posted by garrett376
You will lose the front tow-hook, and if you tap anyone, the damage gets quite extensive without the bar in there. Besides, the bar is aluminum, and very light - maybe a couple of pounds.

I have both of mine for two reasons - to keep the tow hooks, and after one race I met a friend at a restaurant, and while leaving the mall, I got rear-ended by a kid in an Integra. If I didn't have the bumper bar, I'd have a broken bumper instead of a small paint scratch...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
Besides, the bar is aluminum, and very light - maybe a couple of pounds.
As I am currently disassembling my 964, I happen to have the front bumper bar with shocks attached sitting on the garage floor. I used a digital scale and the bar and shocks weigh in at exactly 7.0kg (15.4lbs.). The rear bumber bar without the shocks (they are already packed away in a box somewhere) is also 7.0kg, so with the shocks and bolts, it is ~7.5kg (16.5lbs.) tops.

Last edited by rroobbcc; 11-20-2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

rroobbcc-That is really light. I wonder how much weight savings, if any, the RUF units offer. I'll have to call.

As far as removing the bumper bar altogether and having nothing, I think that's a very bad idea. I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Ruf isn't making the bumper replacements anymore...they are just normal bumpers that have been cut down considerably. I'm doing that to both of mine and getting rid of the bumper shocks. Will also be getting rid of the horizontal piece in the front bumper. If its done anytime in the near future I'll post some pics.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Ruf isn't making the bumper replacements anymore...they are just normal bumpers that have been cut down considerably. I'm doing that to both of mine and getting rid of the bumper shocks. Will also be getting rid of the horizontal piece in the front bumper. If its done anytime in the near future I'll post some pics.
I have been considering the same mod. Pics would be great and a total weight savings when done?

JimC
Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd keep the bumper bar. I sold mine to a guys who needed a quick replacement due to an on track incident that would have had a lot greater damage had he not had the bar installed. Mine were removed to save weight and I'm comfortable with the added risk. A tow hook can be added back (just not the stock one).

Before my current mods, my car was stable at 140ish too (it is more stable now). I ran with a chin spoiler up front to increase the downforce and with an RSA wing in the rear (modest rake and significantly lowered). FWIW, I also have the JIC-Cross suspension.

Quick Reply: Front bumpers-lighten and modify-questions