Sponsored by:

Removing A/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:41 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Removing A/C

I'm thinking about removing the entire A/C System from my car. I don't use it much, if ever. Plus from what I've read it's good for 60+ pounds of weight reduction. If I do it I don't want there to be any sign that there ever was A/C in the car. My question is, would it be hard to come by a control unit without the A/C button.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's 60 lbs. 30-40 maybe. You will still have a bracket on your engine that does not come off to show where the AC was (in addition to the climate control bottons). My bracket got cut off when the engine was out of the car and it did not appear to be alterable with the engine in the car. To remove some of the bits from the front trunk you will need to remove the gas tank.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"...If I do it I don't want there to be any sign that there ever was A/C in the car..."

Although there is some chance you could remove components so the casual observer would not notice, the VIN tracks to the options codes and will tell anyone that wants to know there was an A/C in that car.

To answer the question about the control unit, yes, they seem to be available at the parts yards. The price there can approach $1,000. Occassional eBay units go from $75 to over $500.

Danz C4
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 PM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
To remove some of the bits from the front trunk you will need to remove the gas tank.
You only need to remove the tank if you want to keep the A/C parts in a reusable condition. If they are destined for the dumpster anyway, you can take them out fragment by fragment with the tank still in place.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Danz C4
"...If I do it I don't want there to be any sign that there ever was A/C in the car..."

Although there is some chance you could remove components so the casual observer would not notice, the VIN tracks to the options codes and will tell anyone that wants to know there was an A/C in that car.

To answer the question about the control unit, yes, they seem to be available at the parts yards. The price there can approach $1,000. Occassional eBay units go from $75 to over $500.

Danz C4

I wouldn't be looking to scam anyone by trying to pass it off as an optionless car, I just wouldn't want the end result to look as if it's a hack job.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have to be AC optionless to run in D class?

I think you do have to remove the gas tank to get to the evaporator (or is it the condensor) that sits behind the front dash. While the hoses/ lines come out easily, you have to take out the heating/ AC/ servo unit, in order to get to the evaporator.

Dave
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 PM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasko
I think you do have to remove the gas tank to get to the evaporator (or is it the condensor) that sits behind the front dash. While the hoses/ lines come out easily, you have to take out the heating/ AC/ servo unit, in order to get to the evaporator.
Sorry, I see your point now. To remove A/C, while retaining heat, you need remove the gas tank. One of the luxuries of living in SoCal is that I could dump the heat, too.

Quick Reply: Removing A/C