Speedo dial mph or kph in Oz

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 PM
tonyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo dial mph or kph in Oz

Hi,

Anyone know if one has to change the speedometer from mph to kph for import into NSW.
My current dial has the big numbers in mph and the small in kph and is in for repair. I would like to keep this orginal but if this is an NSW requirement now is the time to change it.

Tony 90C2
Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's NSW??
Old 11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
tonyc
Instructor

Sorry. New South Wales. Australia. Oz for short.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Oh...okay...makes sense. I'm from waaaaaaay up north, just not used to seeing it referred to as NSW.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I have been trying to get to grips with this myself. One moment I read something that suggests the original is OK, the next I read it needs changing. Here is what I think is happening.

The first and most importanmt thing is that you need to make sure that you are importing the car as a "Personal Import". To qualify for that, you need to have owned and used the car continuously for at least 12 months. They will ask for documentary evidence of this and not just a purchase receipt. Service records, insurance docs etc will be required to prove you meet the requirements.

This is where it becomes complicated. Personal imports do not have to meet all the requirements of the ADR (Australian Design Regulations). However, it does need to meet certain standards and this is where it gets difficult. However, the main governmant website states

it must be roadworthy; and meet minimum safety standards
Another website defines this as

Working headlights;
Working tail lights, including stop and turn lights;
Working windscreen wipers (if fitted);
Effective brakes;
Seat belts (if fitted);
Child restraints (if fitted);
Good tyres (with minimum tread depth); and
No oil leaks
I think all this implies you can keep your speedo. However, I have also read on one website that I can no longer find that it is a requirement for the speedo to read only KPH. I am unable, at this time, to accertain whether this applies to personal imports.

The way the process works is that if your car qualifies for a personal import, you get a permit (don't ship without one!), the car clears customs and then you or your agent takes it to a test station. There are some well known alterations that need to be made - rear child seat restraints and flat wing mirror glass being the best know! If you car doesn't pass first time, you can make changes and try again! Therefore, it is my intention to get the car down there and worry about it once I arrive.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Thanks Simon. I think I will stay with my existing mph (large) dial. The repair company had said there is a very slight difference in the colour of the old and new numbers and they would also have to change the odometer setting to bring it up to km.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:56 PM
rhyd911
Intermediate

My car is originally a UK car, now NSW registered and has the Dual Speedo - MPH in large and KPH small.

Unfortunately I've never seen anything definitive regarding this. A mate of mine has a number of old Mazdas imported from Japan. They've all got MPH speedometers with blobs of Tipex at the pertinent points (30, 50, 80, 100, 110 KPH).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rhyd911
My car is originally a UK car, now NSW registered and has the Dual Speedo - MPH in large and KPH small.

Unfortunately I've never seen anything definitive regarding this. A mate of mine has a number of old Mazdas imported from Japan. They've all got MPH speedometers with blobs of Tipex at the pertinent points (30, 50, 80, 100, 110 KPH).
Many thanks for the info. Fingures crossed and I won't have to change it!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb great idea

Code:
They've all got MPH speedometers with blobs of Tipex at the pertinent points (30, 50, 80, 100, 110 KPH).
Tony, just tipex out the MPH and write KPH over the top.....
Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Talking

Yes not a bad idea. Maybe I could add a couple of noughts onto the speedo numbers at the same time. Easy and cheap way to make it faster.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Do you think the police would believe the excuse

"Sorry I was speeding but some idiot tipexed the wrong numbers and I thought I was well within the limit!"

Quick Reply: Speedo dial mph or kph in Oz