Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by springer3
What flunked? Get the repair cost off the price, and you get a car you like with everything fixed (assuming it is fixable of course).

Curious as well as to what was wrong...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah - "health" is subjective... post some info if you like the car that much... bad leakdown/compression numbers? Lots of leaks? What's up?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

A test i remember for identifiying worn valve guides when i owned a 3.2 carrera was:-
when engine fully warmed up accelerate hard and the lift off the gas when changing up gear whilst looking in the rear view mirror for a puff of smoke.(better if you can get someone to follow you if practial)
Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The three big problems were: through bolt O ring leaks, a little smoke on startup, tired clutch. I have no problems paying a premium for a car in premium condition, or paying less for a car with issues. I showed them a number, but I doubt that selling to a well informed buyer is in the best interest in a used car dealer. I.e., I'm sure that someday some dope with more money than brains will come in and hit the offer. Anyway, I appreciate the advice and help from you guys.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleRemus
The three big problems were: through bolt O ring leaks, a little smoke on startup, tired clutch. I have no problems paying a premium for a car in premium condition, or paying less for a car with issues. I showed them a number, but I doubt that selling to a well informed buyer is in the best interest in a used car dealer. I.e., I'm sure that someday some dope with more money than brains will come in and hit the offer. Anyway, I appreciate the advice and help from you guys.
I sense your experience with them was much like many others have reported.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

They're not terrible . . . I won't get bent out of shape if they don't come down to my number, but I do trade for a living. I will say that I wouldn't feel comfortable enough to buy a car from tehm without a PPI, but that's teh cardinal rule anyways . . .
Old 11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Only thing I would like to add is the smoke on startup thing.

If you dont let the engine get rid of the oil in the crankcase before turning it off some oil will seep past the rings in a flat configuration engine, producing smoke on the next startup. Mine will. If I let it idle a bit before turning it off then it will never smoke on startup.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:46 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Hey, Wachuko, I knew I recognized your ID! I had an R32 and hung out on Vortex as well. Good to see you here.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by UncleRemus
Hey, Wachuko, I knew I recognized your ID! I had an R32 and hung out on Vortex as well. Good to see you here.
The R32 was/is a terrific car! But it had to go to give way for the 996TT... I have my eyes on the new Scirocco

Let's know what you end up with
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 PM
porktastic
Advanced

Actually my 1990 C4 had an oil leak prior to me buying it - caused by three sheared head studs, apparently. Had turbo ones fitted as part of a top end rebuild, since then (2004), no probs.

The mechanic who did the rebuild (JAZ) said it wasn't that uncommon, although mine is the only one I've heard of.

Last edited by porktastic; 11-17-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 AM
UncleRemus
Instructor

DISCLAIMER: By posting this link, I am in no shape or form submitting the content as fact. I simply thought I would post what I found in my research on the valve guide issue.

Valve guide PCA discussion

Quick Reply: Advice pls: looking at a 964 for first Porsche . . . have questions