Sponsored by:

Alternator/Fan Bearing Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Alternator/Fan Bearing Question?

I think I've narrowed down a problem I have but wanted to get some feedback in case I'm out off course.

I had some noise and vibration from the engine bay yesterday then the fan cooler belt broke..lot's of pretty smoke and a nice buring rubber fragrence..
I drove it home on just the alternator belt, no problems..this morning I took the pulleys off and the fan spins freely with no noise, the blades dont seem to be hitting the shrould so I dont think it's a bent alt shaft..so put it back together and smoked another fan belt? The cooling belt pulley just aint turning so when the crank pully spins below it burns the belt from the top..The only thing I can think of is it's the dual bearing..(Adrian's book pg 477)??????

Also, how bad is it to drive without the cooling fan belt? I would ASSUME as long as I keep it down to short distances and keep my eye on the oil temp, I'm good..it's my daily driver so I have to drive it until I can get the new part

Thanks!!!
Craig
Old 11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not drive it untill fixed . No good can come from that . A rental car is cheap vs a engine .
With the rental car you can drive the fan / alt to a shop and have it fixed up .
Old 11-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

I agree with indycam these are air cooled engines well air and oil. not worth risking it. I imagine that big fan dissplaces a lot of heat
Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 PM
CRG
Instructor

yeah I'm sure it's not too smart to run the car w/o the fan belt to help cool the engine, so I pulled the alt this afternoon and will get a rebuilt one tomorrow, I hope..thanks anyways
Old 11-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Now that you have it out , do you see whats wrong ?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 AM
CRG
Instructor

Pulled the alternator, wasnt too difficult..brought it to a alternator/started rebuild shop and had it rebuilt..the bearing that the alternator shaft runs on was frozen, the cooling fan bearing was ok..installed it last night & it ran fine... this morning on my way to work it lasted for about 5 miles then died, had to have it towed back to the house..very very pissed this morning

Installation is very straightforward, I know I did it right. Either the guy didnt rebuild it right or maybe rebuilt it as a 90 amp instead of a 115 and that made a difference? Dont know but I'll find out later today when I get it over to the guys shop..more to follow.............................
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The motor died after 5 miles ?
Did the alt light come on ?
Did you check the voltage at the battery after the install ? Was it 14ish with the motor running ?
Does the alt light come on when you turn on the car but not the motor ?
Is your battery dead ?
If you recharge your battery will the car run again ?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:30 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine / electical system flattened out or the thing locked up and toasted another belt? Man... My 993 is howling like a banshee from the alternator, so I'm about to go in for the same work. Any thoughts/suggestions on doing this would be helpful.. I'm all ears! Especially and caveats learned from your local rebuild experience. :0
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
CRG
Instructor

the alt checks good, had it checked where it was rebuilt..
battery holds a charge, it looks like I'm having a problem coming from the blue wire (D+).. the batt light on the dash wont come on on start up so the problem must be somewhere between the alt end of the blue wire (D+) and the warning light, at least thats where I'm headed...

the reason the car died this am was it was just running off the battery, the blue wire didnt kick on the alt, so when the headlights and dashlight drained the battery the bugger just shut down...just where you'd want it to, southbound on a two lane road headed to I-95, consturction zone, 0600 morning traffic, no shoulder..I was getting some serious love from my brother and sister communters this morning....
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Any chanced that the wires got onto the wrong spots ?
Is the bulb bad ?

"the alt checks good, had it checked where it was rebuilt.."
It was tested post all the fun ?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
CRG
Instructor

I pulled the clock, none of the lights come on when the ign is switched on..I visually checked all the bulbs the filiments looked intact..but none of the warning lights come on, clock fuse is ok..WTF!!!

It's getting real close to my first round of, "it's time to F'ing break something" ....once I get through that I'll be able to think more clearly
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I'm about to go in for the same work. Any thoughts/suggestions on doing this would be helpful
I would suggest not going to a neighborhood alternator rebuilder. For some reason that I don't quite understand these rebuilders ALL have problems with the 964/993 alternator. I've lost count of the number of people that have had problems after saving $50 and having their alternator rebuilt locally. If you shop around you can buy an alternator with a two-year warranty directly from Porsche for not a whole lot more money. Factory rebuilt Bosch units cost about the same.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
CRG
Instructor

Jason, it's time to earn that "technical guru" title..what do you think my problem might be? I was there when we checked the alternator on the bench, amps, volts, all looked good..what do you think about the clock causing the alt not to charge? None of the warning lights on the clock come on...what do you think???
THANKS!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could this be a case where the contacts need to be resoldered?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CRG
it's time to earn that "technical guru" title
lol, all that means is that I have a big library and too much spare time.

Originally Posted by CRG
what do you think about the clock causing the alt not to charge? None of the warning lights on the clock come on
With all the lights staying off in the clock (you didn't touch the clock until after the fact?) I would go with an open circuit between Terminal 15 of the ignition switch and the clock but your problem didn't start until after you touched the alternator so I would start there. In the engine compartment fuse box there is a 14-pin connector. If you ground (there is a chassis ground between the ignition coils) pin 11 (the D+ blue wire from the alternator) with the ignition on and engine off does the battery light in the clock stay off or turn on?

Quick Reply: Alternator/Fan Bearing Question?