Sponsored by:

Modified intake, more cold air (hopefully) pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modified intake, more cold air (hopefully) pics

Relocated the intake from underneath the rear deck to closer to the spoiler, and fabricated a heat shield. Trying to keep the hot stuff from getting to the intake.
Mounted the heat shield with a couple of 90mm long, 6mmx1.0 bolts and aluminum standoffs. They are fastened to the injector rail mounting points.
I would like to see what the actual temperature difference is (if any), so will try to do some data logging in the future. (Can convert back very easily).
Bill
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill... Very interesting. Yes... I am curious as well to see the difference in intake temps. Will you use the diagnostic interface to measure temps? It looks like you used aluminum for the job. How did you get such a nice bend? What thickness did you use? Do you still have the pattern?

Lookin' good! Please keep us posted!

EDIT: My first thought was that this should lower the intake temps... My second thought was that it's another piece of metal to heat up close to the filter.

I'm eager to see your results!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I have thought of doing this to mine also but worried about putting the K&N under the grill for water to drip straight down on it?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Unfortunately air flow will not like your 90 degree bend and the complete system will probably flow more air if you fit the filter directly onto the AFM. The flow loss will negate any advantage of breathing colder air, so be sure to measure your performance before and after since you could be making one step forward and two steps back (been there, got the t-shirt).
Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Colin... Really??? That 90 degree bend hurts performance that much? Mine was mounted directly to the MAF but after seeing so many 90 degree kits I decided to get one. I haven't noticed any problems or changes. (Perhaps they are there I just can't feel the difference.)

The other thing I noticed was that the bonnet shock would rub the side of the filter when mounted directly to the MAF. I guess I could play with the mounting to see if I could shift it a little. Either that or change the filter to a slightly shorter one.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smikin,
Move the filter back that far and intake air temperature will become a problem !! unless you put the filter in a box with an intake under the spoiler !!
Hey, thats standard .
Please excuse my humour but I couldnt resist !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
wsybert
Pro

Thought about the 90 deg bend... wasn't sure of the loss.
Maybe I can go larger diameter.
I bent and cut the aluminum by hand. It is about 1/16" thick. No pattern, just cut and fit.
I could make a template if it works out for the better.
I had to shorten my tubing and cut a little off of the filer coupling, to get it back far enough so the hood hinge would not interfere witht he filter.

Thanks all for the input. Will keep you posted on what I find.
Bill
Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Wysbert,

Awesome creativity and follow-through. You are to be commended.

I do not know how much benefit you will get, but just coming up with and creating these things is fun. Thanks for sharing with us!

Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

After reading some of the threads recently that have trounced on K&N air filters... I am thinking about switching back to the regular airbox for a while. I'll see what differences there are.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Heirsh
Wysbert,

Awesome creativity and follow-through. You are to be commended.

I do not know how much benefit you will get, but just coming up with and creating these things is fun. Thanks for sharing with us!

+1
an 'A' for the effort!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I found this article on the internet regarding air filter design for air compressors which explain my cryptic comments in a little more detail:

Filter design aids air compressor efficiency
By John Davis*

DESIGN of compressed air filter housings directly affects system pressure loss, which influences operating costs.

Typical compressed air filters are installed at 90° to the piping system due to installation restrictions and for ease of maintenance but this design creates what is known in aerodynamic terms, as an inefficient corner. These inefficient corners in compressed air filters can lead to turbulence, pressure loss and high running costs.

In an inefficient corner, the core of the approaching air stream is projected against the outside wall of the turn. Part of the flow is reversed and a vortex pair produced. The remaining air continues downstream in a slightly more uniform manner. The vortex pair has the effect of narrowing the flow path through the corner, throttling the air flow and increasing pressure losses.

To improve air flow and reduce turbulence, the corner should be made rounded and smooth. The rounded corner produces a different flow as air stream lines diverge near the outside wall of the turn and converge on the inside wall. Compressed air filters using this design reduce turbulence induced pressure losses compared with sharp cornered filters.

Using partitions (turning vanes) in the air flow further improves efficiency by separating corners into several more efficient corners.

figure 1 Traditional method of air flow
figure 2 Uneven air flow distribution
figure 3 Air flow management for low energy consumption

Obviously in the case of the 964 intake the flow is in the reverse direction to that shown in the diagrams.
Attached Images  

Last edited by NineMeister; 11-07-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 PM
wsybert
Pro

I love this forum!!!
Now I will have to find a mandrel bend to eliminate the sharp inside corner on my design.
Hum... vanes.... may test my fabricating skills.

Thanks!
Bill
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by Smokin
After reading some of the threads recently that have trounced on K&N air filters... I am thinking about switching back to the regular airbox for a while. I'll see what differences there are.
Yeh, I switched back to the stock filter. Can I tell the difference? Nope!

I always wonder: if you want more air flow, why not simply mount an electric fan on the air intake? Or, (as I've suggested before) T into the AC system's blower tube :-)
Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jjbunn
Yeh, I switched back to the stock filter. Can I tell the difference? Nope!

I always wonder: if you want more air flow, why not simply mount an electric fan on the air intake? Or, (as I've suggested before) T into the AC system's blower tube :-)
I thought about that too... But then there is no real way to control the airflow.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjbunn
I always wonder: if you want more air flow, why not simply mount an electric fan on the air intake?
You mean like this? http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

"Dyno tested and proven..." Those words have a familiar sound.

Noah

Quick Reply: Modified intake, more cold air (hopefully) pics