Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To repaint/change color? Need opinions !

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default To repaint/change color? Need opinions !

I currently have a 91 C2 with Metallic Oak Green paint. The paint is starting to chip on the front and I was going to get the front repainted. Then I thought about changing the color????

Any opinions about changing from my fairly rare paint color, resale value and/or other thoughts...maybe a fun topic for the cool November New England days...

Stewart

PS the interior is tan
Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also considering getting mine painted - and have also thought about changing colour. Whenever I see it parked in the sun, I do think it looks damn good in it's current white though.

I suspect changing colour does affect resale price - but I assumed that if I documented it well - took lots of pics as it went to the paint shop - I'd be able to prove it was not done because of accident damage, and it might even make it easier to sell in future if it was a popular colour (when I tried to sell mine, 5 people called and told me they didn't want a white one - even though it was in an ad with colour photos).

If I changed colour I would consider yellow or black. I've also considered something like purple.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 AM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - The old I called even though i really don't like that color is one of the odlest negotiating tricks in the book.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go for a respray but not a color change. a lot of P-cars our age, if driven at all, have had a front respray by now. Hang in there with the color you chose. If you respray a different color you'll regret it as you will find parts that were not taped off corectly or overspray went to the wrong area... I'd think you would regret it. Now... If you are talking about taking everything out, interior, doors, windows, etc. and respraying then I'd say go for it. But then that is very cost prohibitive.

Stay with your original color. You liked the color enough to buy it didn't you?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveK

If I changed colour I would consider yellow or black. I've also considered something like purple.

Do not get black - mine is Satin Black and when Zymolled it looks fanstatic in any light. The problem is 10 yards down the road it look dirty again - its a never ending battle!!

As for colours why not go the whole hog and get it painted in the GULF livery or Maritine Blue.

As for resale, providing it has been done correctly i.e. completely striped and windows out, then I do not think it would be a problem. Better a really nicely painted car in the right colour than an badly painted car in the wrong colour - IMHO.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I'd have to agree with Smokin. I would much prefer a diff color, but I got my car for other reasons and I'll stick with it.

My car was resprayed partially and if you look closely you can find the edges. If it was redone in another color those edges would be staring you in the face. If you do repaint it, dont be afraid to shell out real dough. I'd love that green. Wish we could swap body panels.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metallic Oak Green looks great , imho . I might go for Metallic Oak Green if I ever get round to painting the car . The first 911 I ever looked at was near that shade of green . That image of that green 911 ,
As just a punk kid I thought that was just the best looking car ever . The guy who owned it would recover the asphalt on his driveway with a jet black coating all the time so it a perfect deep green 911
sitting on a perfect black driveway . Only house in the neighbourhood like it .
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Changing the color of a collectible sports car will always hurt the value, especially as the years go by and buyers start putting more value on originality. Additionally, as someone has already pointed out, changing a color is a hugely expensive and labor intensive process to do correctly. And done incorrectly, ruins the car. I can't count how many times I've run across this in the old British sports car hobby. Some chap has a very nice old TR6 or Healey in some color that he considers boring, and he has it resprayed look-at-me-red. Sad, sad fate for an otherwise nice example of a car...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I think I will keep the green,

I did purchase it because I liked the color and it was unique (nothing against the reg,black and white cars). I was just wondering what everyone thought.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:23 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you looked into having the car wrapped in vinyl? It would only last a few years but it should cost a lot less than a full repaint?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not consider changing the color unless it was part of a ground-up restoration. If you are doing that, what you are spending means you are not concerned about resale value. You are spending the money because you want to enjoy the car.

A color-change tape and spray job will look bad because of all the places where the old color shows: inside the trunk and engine compartment, door jams, places where the taping was not perfect, and then later when rubber shrinks back and the odd rock chip exposes the old color. You really can't do a proper color change without stripping the doors and the tub to naked shells. To get it right, you need to document what hardware was painted at the factory, and what hardware had natural finish.

Resale value is affected by the botched paint job more than the color issue.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Computamedic's car wasn't originally yellow - and I believe he said the inside of the trunk etc. was still the original colour? Wouldn't stop me buying it though - it's a very good looking car.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 AM
IanUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveK
I am also considering getting mine painted - and have also thought about changing colour. Whenever I see it parked in the sun, I do think it looks damn good in it's current white though.
White is one of the nicest colours for the 964 IMO. It's a classic Porsche colour too. When I went shopping for mine I only wanted white, no other colour would do.

Ian.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by IanUK
White is one of the nicest colours for the 964 IMO. It's a classic Porsche colour too.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just a really bad idea, unless the mismatch doesn't bother you and you intend to keep it forever. To have the best job done, you'd need to have it disassembled and stripped, resulting in an astronomical bill - and still you can't cover everything. If you go to sell it, as soon as someone notices the color difference, you've got a lot of explaining to do. No question, you're gonna take a hit on the resale.

How bad are the stone chips? A competent paint guy can do a miraculous touch-up job. If you're really compelled towards a color change, sell yours and go out and buy the color you want.

Quick Reply: To repaint/change color? Need opinions !